what does resting on my laurels mean?

• JaneB
    Favorite Answer

It means you are relying on previous accolades or successes.

Laurels were once given as an honor for achievement--think of Roman senators wearing crowns of laurels. One who "rests on his laurels" is content with present, or past, achievements. Though laurels are positive, one who rests on them is considered lazy.

• pfarr

Resting On Your Laurels

• mauzon

Laurels Definition

• Renee

In Roman times, the winner of a contest, like a race, might receive a wreath of laurel leaves. It was a sign of accomplishment, of winning. That word "laurel" is where the names Larry and Lawrence come from. So we can't rest on past victories but must keep trying.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does resting on my laurels mean?

Source(s): resting laurels mean: https://biturl.im/hGpvO

Laurels refer to honours or acclamations. To rest on them means to live off your former fame or accomplishments and not bother to try to achieve anything else.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/2SNEm

laurel wreaths were the lil leaves you see on statues of roman emperors. they got them for cool stuff like winning wars or solving major problems. to rest on them means to never really try to do anything grand after the original thing that got you so much popularity and kudos. --------edit---------- and prolly maliolani is right as well.

Relying on past accomplishments

sitting on your butt.

It comes from the play "Julius Ceaser" in one scene Ceaser asks "where are my laurels" and then stands up and discovers he was sitting on them. (laurels was the ivy head band he wore).

My grandma used that a lot. I means to live of your fame...