Lee vs. Macon county, Alabama court case info and verdict?

It has to do with the department of education and the mistreatment of minorities...I think. Please, fill in the blanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i studied that in a honors hist class in high school but it has been well over 10 years.

here is an exerpt from a website i found:

Brown v. Topeka Board of Education, 1954 legally ended segregation of public schools in the United States of America. That was the official stance, but for the majority of schools in the South, desegregation happened only on paper; and Macon County Alabama was no exception. Nearly ten years after the Brown v. Topeka Board of Education, schools in Tuskegee continued segregated practices, as did the entire Macon County school system.

Lee v. Macon County Board of Education attempted to force the desegregation of the public schools in Macon County.[1] Anthony T. Lee filed a complaint with the federal court against Macon County Board of Education in 1963. Because of the desegregation issues, the United States was added to the complaint on July 16,1963, as Plaintiff?Intervener and amicus curiae.   After six months of deliberations, Federal Justice Frank Johnson, on August 13,1963 ordered Macon County schools to desegregate.[2] The court?s ruling met with massive resistance in the white community. Governor George Wallace responded to Justice Johnson?s ruling with a news conference during which he made the following statement: ?In the name of the greatest people that have ever walked the earth, I draw a line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say Segregation now! Segregation tomorrow! and Segregation forever!?

On September 29,1963, Governor George Wallace ordered the Alabama Militia to block integration of Tuskegee High School. Tuskegee High School desegregated on September 29, 1963, and re-segregated on September 30,1963. As a result of ?white flight,? the majority of the white parents withdrew their children, leaving only one hundred and fifty whites and five blacks enrolled at the high school. By the end of that week, the hundred and fifty white students also left. Almost forty years have passed and Tuskegee public schools are still segregated.

The newly built Booker T. Washington High School, formally Tuskegee High School, is predominately black, and Macon Academy (private school for white anti-desegregationist) is all white. Justice Johnson?s ruling did little to actually desegregate the schools of Macon County Alabama. The irony in this is that both schools were built on sites that face each other from opposite sides of the same street.[3]

The litigation intended to desegregate Macon County schools. On February 3,1964, an amended complaint included Alabama?s State Superintendent and the State Board of Education System as defendants  (Lee v. Macon County Bd. of Educ., 267 F. Supp 458,470-M.D. Ala 1967). The amended complaint expanded the focus from Macon County to include statewide issues regarding desegregation. The new complaint alleged that the State Superintendent and the State Board of Education operated a racially dual school system throughout the State of Alabama. Moreover, the court found that the predecessors in these offices used their powers to maintain a dual system primarily through the day-to-day performances of their supervisory duties and operation of the state education system.[4]

also, gov wallace was a racist to an extreme and was a member of the KKK. he also was planning on running for president. fortunately for our country, he was assasinated during a speech either before the presidential race had begun or right after it started.

good luck!

Source(s): hist class and :http://www.as.ua.edu/amstud/macnhist.htm
  • 5 years ago

Source(s): Court Records Search Database : http://courtrecords.oruty.com/?Vvl
  • 4 years ago

satisfied, an equivalent distribution of the land will save the peace. i imagine it replaced into the safest verdict they could have given. Edit: Ask soreness Uncle- it really is not the reason they gave a million/3 to the Wakf board, that is because there also necessary to be justice for what befell in 1992, and that i trust this replaced into their way of acknowledging that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.