WHAT IS MEANT BY NEXT WEEKEND? THIS OR THE NEXT?

If today is wed November 8th and i say to my friend "What are you doing next weekend?", Which weekend are we talking about, the weekend of the 11th or the 18th?

Favorite Answer

NEXT WEEKEND is next weekend. 18th

To be a nerd, I would say that if you pointed at Nov 8 and moved your finger ahead and stopped at the "next weekend" (the weekend coming next), you'd be pointing at Nov 11.

To be clear, I would say that the weekend of Nov 11 is "this weekend" or "Saturday the 11th" and that the weekend of the 18th is "the weekend after this weekend" or "on Saturday the 18th".

And that would still be nerdy. At least you won't say "meet me at Friday's next weekend" and then wait for no one on the 18th because your friend looked for you on the 11th. Or on a Friday.

Well, usually in this situation, the friend will probably ask "Which weekend are we talking about, the weekend of the 11th or the 18th?". and you will answer appropriately.

Next weekend means the first subsequent weekend. In your example it would be the weekend of the 11th.

I don't know if it is a strictly Southern thing, but my dad used to use the word "week" to describe the second subsequent weekend.

Example:

"We need to have this job finished by Saturday week." In your example this would mean Saturday the 18th rather than the 11th.

the 18th..the weekend of the 11th would be 'this weekend' because it is part of the current week.

With me it would be 18th.

Weekend of 11th is this weekend, weekend of 4th last weekend, so weekend of 18th is next weekend.

This weekend is the one that will be coming first. Next weekend is the one after this weekend.

I would take it to mean the 11th, since that would be the next weekend since the previous one, but I can't say for sure.

• ?

If it particularly is Sunday night, and somebody says "next Weekend", which skill right here weekend. which skill the Friday/Saturday coming up. i could call them and spot what surpassed off earlier you leap to conclusions. they could have had an emergency, or have been given sick.

18th