Why is the tomb of the unknown soldier-Arlington guarded 24/7?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I know that they started guarding the tomb in 1937 but I wanted to know the reasoning behind it.
Best Answer
It said that the decision to guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was a sign of respect to the fallen ones. Below I included a piece I received from a fellow veteran regarding the Tomb of the Unknown.

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington , DC , our US Senate/House took 2 days off with anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news, it was reported that because of the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!" Soaked to the skin,marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson. The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

Hope this info helped..
  • Comment

Other Answers (9)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • sureshot649 answered 8 years ago
    It's because the military takes care of it's own, even when we can't identify that soldier/Marine/sailor/airman, we're not going to leave them alone, nor forget them, ever.
    • Comment
  • elmjunburke answered 8 years ago
    It's military tradition. They're not actually guarding it as if someone might sneak in and run off with it. It's a show of respect for those who fought and died for our country.

Source(s):

an old soldier
    • Comment
  • yetti answered 8 years ago
    Respect....a symbol of the love for our soldiers...both then and now, fallen or still fighting....and that we will still protect the things they died for....
    • Comment
  • MikeGolf answered 8 years ago
    It is a symbol of our respect and a promise that we will continue to protect what they died for.
    • Comment
  • Munya Says: DUH! answered 8 years ago
    It's a sign of respect.
    • Comment
  • wi_saint answered 8 years ago
    The Sentinal is there to honor the deceased veteran(s) service to his country and to us all.
    The particular reason that you are asking about, is probably due to nationalistic pride at the time that the guard was instituted.

Here is a beautiful page that will answer most of your questions.

Source(s):

• Comment
  • flip103158 answered 8 years ago
    Respect for the fallen heros.
    • Comment
  • Oh No!!!!!!! answered 8 years ago
    I didn't know that it had 24 hour guard, i think that is excellent.
    • Comment
  • forest lover answered 8 years ago
    hmm,that is weird.do they really guard it?
    seems like a waste of time & effort,but thats the government for ya.
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock