The below is from the Mid-Columbia Medical Center website; Sharpies are permanent markers, and fall under the pervue of the article.
Inhalants are the drug of choice among pre-teens and early teens. Common household products, like hair spray, spray paint, glue, typewriter correction fluid, permanent markers, nail polish remover, the propellant in canned whipped cream, felt-tip markers, spray deodorants, air freshener spray, gasoline, butane lighters and others….can all be used to get a quick high.
How are these ordinary products used for getting high? If the vapors from these products are sniffed directly from the can, bottle or container, it is called "inhaling". If the vapors from these products are sprayed into a bag, empty pop can or container and then breathed in, this is called "bagging". Lastly, the vapors can be sprayed or poured onto a cloth or piece of clothing (say, a sock) and inhaled deeply or put into the mouth, a practice called "huffing".
Why do kids use inhalants? For many reasons. They're cheap, you can find them in your home or buy them at any local grocery, hardware or variety store, they are easy to hide, you don't need a "dealer", you don't need any extra equipment to use them (so-called drug paraphernalia) and parents are generally unaware of the problem. Because these products are so ordinary and legal, kids can often "explain" why they have them if they are caught.
What kind of high are kids getting? It's usually short-lived. At first, inhalants have a stimulating effect. Then, if the user keeps inhaling, they may feel dizzy, giddy, light-headed or have trouble walking. Sometimes users may feel agitated and become violent. Repeated inhaling can cause a child to pass out, and, sadly, because they rob the body of oxygen, some children die suddenly.
The chemicals kids consume in inhaling are highly toxic or poisonous. These chemicals enter the lungs and then pass from the bloodstream into the brain, where they kill brain cells causing permanent brain damage. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the fumes a teen inhales are much greater than what is considered safe even in a workplace setting. Over time, inhalant use can cause other serious health problems, such as muscle spasms and permanent damage to the nervous system, liver, kidney and bone marrow. Sudden death can occur, even from first-time use, due to suffocation or a high concentration of fumes.