Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesVolkswagen · 1 decade ago

97 VW Jetta Has a hard time starting when it is cold outside.?

It is not the starter or battery. It takes several attempts before it will actually start/turn over. Once it starts it's good for the rest of the day, it starts right up. We changed out the Coolant Temp Sensor, that didn't help. What else causes a "Cold Starting" problem? It runs great otherwise.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i own a repair shop and these have a cold start valve on them ,when it starts going bad it cause them to be a little hard to start in the morning ,you can get the valve and put it on your self but it has to be set ,so id let a good repair shop,do it and set it,and be done with it,i have installed a few of them before and there not hard to put on ,but have to be set when the engine is cold,but that's what is causing it to do that ,good luck,i hope this help,s.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 36 yrs.
  • 1 decade ago

That car is cold blooded try wrapping the engine in a heating blanket.

• 1 decade ago

try what the dodge guy said but also add a little sweet talking. I always give my VW a lil' talk and she always starts up...yes my family thinks I am crazy but she hasn't left me yet!! LOL

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My girlfreind has excactly the same madel and car and she has the same problem she had it looked at and the mechanic told her there is really nothing u can do sorry

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Try changing your fuel filter!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ignition fuse

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.