Has anyone read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Midred Taylor? if so, why did it take place in Mississippi?

Does the location really matter? does the setting determine the action/conflict of the story?

oh and do you know what the theme is? (<--you dont have to answer that question only if you dont want to)

i have already read this book, but i kind of need a sure answer.

whoever gives a great answer, you'll recieve 10 points.

i would apreciate it if you helped me out

THANK YOU!

Best Answer

I sure did!!

It was one of my favorite books when I was younger.

Roll of Thunder is part of a trilogy surrounding the Logan family (other two books are Let the Circle Be Unbroken and The Road to Memphis) The protagonist is Cassie Logan and this is a basically a coming of age story set against the backdrop of what would be impending social change (i.e. the Civil Rights Movement) because the novella takes place in the 1930s.

Anyway, to answer your first question, the location did matter. Mississppi, along with Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina are commonly referred to as the Deep South. In this region, racism and segregation were more blatant through the enactment of laws known as Jim Crow. It was also in this region (though really everywhere) that civil liberties of African Americans were violated and extreme antagonistic actions were taken against them (kidnappings, lynchings, etc.) by such groups like the Klu Klux Klan.

This is important because the Logan family actually owned land (a farm) in Mississippi. Property rights were so important to African Americans because they were denied for some time. Because of this, there was great pride in the Logan family; Cassie actually lived a pretty sheltered existence.

You have read the book so you know about the events that happen throughout the plot. It were those events that causes Cassie to sober up about what was happening to the idyllic world she once knew as social tensions began to escalate.

This book is actually a reflection of Mildred D. Taylor's personal experiences growing up during this time in America that proceded what was commonly referred to as the Civil Rights Movement (although in all actuality the Civil Rights Movement began FAR before 1955). She is actually from Mississppi, so that would be another reason for the location.

You can also go to Amazon.com and read their plot summary as well as Wikipedia to read Mildred D. Taylor's biography. Good luck!

Yes, I do know. In fact I am friends with Mildred and write to her often. The reason this book takes place in Mississippi is because one of her dear friends had this happen in her life. She was the eldest daughter. Her life was very hard and Taylor thought it would be best to write about this so others would know the hardship she faced in her early childhood years. The theme of the book is based on a true life occurence. And yes the setting does determine the action/conflict because if it hadn't been based on a true story that really happened in Mississippi than she wouldn't have been able to write about any of this. I love this book and I hope this answers your questions. :]

Source(s): bridgebridge

the book is set during the height of the Jim Crow era. It was set in the deep south/Mississippi, because that was where Jim Crow was hit the strongest.

As far as theme goes. You have to look at the title. The Roll of Thunder is a euphamism for the voice of God. The issues faced in the book seemed insurmountable and overwhelming. Therefore she was crying to God for the answers to the issues faced by black people in the deep south under the thumb of Jim Crow laws.

It was written in Mississippi probably because the author was born in Mississippi and knew more about the experience there.

I read the book four years ago, so I don't really remember the analysis of it. I do remember it being very good, though.

well,.. it depends on the author,.. research the author. was she born in mississippi? that state could be all she knows, or maybe she sees that area to be a place of mystery just from visiting. Analyzation goes along way so when ure reading let your mind go and think deeply, between the lines.

It deals with the Jim Crow laws, civil rights, KKK, etc. in the south.