Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

Pocket Aces? Slow play them or be aggresive?

Favorite Answer

Well im aggresive on them because I dont want an opponent to see the flop without a big raise and call you with a semi-decent hand and if he/she hits something like 2 pair or trips or flush or whatever, then you can be dead and if you raised pretty big since the start, chances are that the opponent wouldve folded and you wouldve won the pot. So Im aggresive with those a lot.

If I'm down to three or four players (final table) and I'm first to act pre-flop, I'll just call with them. But be careful with that though: the big blind might check and hit three of a kind off the flop or decides to chase a flush or open-ended straight. If I'm on the button there, I'll play it more aggressively.

If it's just in the beginning (and, again, first to act pre-flop), I'll play them very aggressively, just because I don't want anyone to get lucky and/or chase. Brunson describes it differently in the Super/System, but that's just me. I've been burned playing pocket aces or kings by experimenting. I prefer to just take down the pot, no matter how small it may be in the early stages of a tournie.

But if I get them on the button in any stage of a tournie, I'll play them aggressively regardless.

I usually play aggressive but there's an article on a subject like this halfway down the page here http://www.theultimatepokerguide.com/index.php?top... called "When Passive Plays" it gives a good scenerio for when you shouold slowplay Pocket Aces.

well u dont want to be too agressive or everyone will fold an ull get nothing for them. check or call a few times, pray some one raises an re raise them. just watch u dont get caught out with straights or 3 of a kinds on the turns. i love gettin everyone with a good few chips in an looking like i cant decide what to do an then caling all in lol

Never slow play, people hang in and will catch straight or 2 little pair.I have lost going all in with pockets aces it can happen,but you really want to get the chasers out.

Def. slow play. If ace comes out on flop to give u trips...check it, then raise the poor bastard betting on a pair. All in and you will lose to anything from 2 pr, someone else trips..have seen it all to often. Got 2 bracelets myself.

Source(s): WPT been there, kicked that.

I put in a BIG bet every time I hold AA - frequently I go all-in. I'd rather just take the blinds than risk losing the hand to a lucky flop call.

I say slow play them for a while, then get agressive later. You're talking about texas hold 'em right?

Depends on playing limit or no-limit. In no-limit it depends where you are sitting and who has folded, betted before you or in limit....yes, be aggressive. In no-limit watch where you are sitting...very important as compared to the people that are after you and before you.

Source(s): champion in LA

Mix it up. Trap them once in a while, but don't let them draw. But hey what do I know. I would read some books on poker.

Source(s): To see what the pros would do... http://www.texasholdem-sites.com/online-poker-book... The Online Poker Player http://www.thepokerplayer.wordpress.com/