Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

microsoft excel (confused_?

Microsoft excel?

I use to be a pro at Microsft excel,.. but i have not worked in a while and i cant remember jack,.. can someone talk me on how to enter a simple formula, maybe this will help me get my memory back,.. i use to use my mouse to enter formula's as oppose to typing them in,.. ? does that make sence?

Favorite Answer

.

I understand. Am in the same boat...just getting back to work after many years.

1. Open Excel

2. Enter data in cells

3. You must highlight all cells you want totaled.

4. To highlight click the first cell you want added > then hold down keyboard SHIFT key >

then click below last cell, in an empty cell where total will appear.

You may total several columns at the same time.

To total a row, drag across the row.

In above tool bar click the "sum" button

(it looks Greek like a backwards E

5. To see the formula Click in cell where the answer appears and look above

6. You will see the "sum formula" in the long white text box for "Insert Function"

In that text box you can type in and can change your formula for the area you want it to cover by changing the formula to

one column

[example] =SUM(A1:G1)

one row

[example] =SUM(A1:A8)

several columns

[example] =SUM(A1:G8)

The first number is the first column/cell

then a colon

then the last number is the last column/cell

Now for other help remember the Office Assistant is totally cool. It even helped me at exam time, hee hee. Click on the question mark on the above tool bar, and when the "assistant" appears type in your question.

Glad to help

stw

.

Start with the = and (lets say you want to add two cells together), then click cell one, put the + sign, then cell 2 and hit enter. The formula should be there. If you want to add a row or a column, highlight it and click the auto sum button at the top of the screen (it looks like a sideways M). I hope this helps.

Normally you use the equal sign to invoke a formula. Excel has a nice little equal sign to click on to tell the program you are entering a formula.

To type a formula in simply put an = sign in front

Example

= IF(A1 = B1,"equal","not equal")

To use the mouse you'll have to go through the "Insert" & "Function" process on the menus. This will bring up a box to help you find the formula you want to use.

Hope this helps!

Excel for dummies is helpful, also on Microsoft.com there are some basic tutorials that really helped me.

There is a formula bar on the top of the spreadsheet Fx

You may type formula in that box

click on the bar at the top or in the cell that you want the formula answer to go to then enter the = sign then whateva cells ya want for example b3 then use either

* for times

/ for divide

+ for plus

- for minus

then when you have done click enter

or if ya have the same info on another sheet just put = in the box click on the sheet you want then click on the info and click enter

I might use Conditional Formating to make the numbers fairly stand out. Perhaps daring and crimson in the event that they exist within the different variety (checking through the vlookup position as already instructed). For illustration when you desired trade formatting for values that did NOT exist within the different desk, spotlight (opt for) the column, then from the Format menu, opt for Conditional Formatting, and installed anything like... =NOT( ISERROR( VLOOKUP(A1, $E$a million:$E$five ,a million, FALSE))) Where A1 is the primary mobile within the organization you are replacing, and $E$a million:$E:ninety nine represents the variety you wish to evaluate. I've saved the variety small and in a unmarried sheet for experimentation, however it is going to paintings simply as good with a couple of sheets. Ideally you'll mainly wish to make use of named levels to hold matters extra readable.

A good resource is Mr. Excel

http://www.mrexcel.com/

You could also buy one of his books as a good reference.

Maybe try the Help manual thats part of excel.

• Aaron

=SUM(A1:C1) = A1 B1 C1 added together.

=SUM(A1,C1) = A1 and C1 added together.