Is it time that the non religious began to organise themselves in order to have a stronger more unified voice?

The non religious / atheist / secular group is much larger than many other groups . Isn't it time these people got organised began to speak with one stronger voice.

Here are the worldwide stats

Christianity: 2.1 billion

Islam: 1.3 billion

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

Hinduism: 900 million

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

Buddhism: 376 million

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million

Baha'i: 7 million

in the US for example this grouping represents 14.1 % of the population much more than say Judaism and Islam yet exerts much less political influece than these 2 groups.

Wasn't it Bush senior who said atheists shouldn't be even considered citizens or patriots.

Sarah, organized is indeed spelt with a z in the states but here on the other side of the pond (Ireland) we spell it with an s.

Best Answer

You state the very reason, why I am an individual agnostic, good luck in your endeavour.

Bush (both of them) is an idiot. The younger declared in his first term of office that Wicca was not a valid religion because he didn't believe in it. That caused an uproar in the military.

There is a reason why non-religion is not considered an organized group. Even with the best of intentions, once you start organizing something like that, you run into a myriad of problems and groups who say "I agree with your on that but also I believe this instead." Look at any of the religions you have already listed. There isn't one that doesn't have someone disagreeing with each other within the same group. While I do understand your intentions, and I do agree with you, I don't know realistically how that would work without there being some bugs to be ironed out.

What's funny is that the majority of the nonreligious are in China. There are very, very fractional few atheist in the developed world. In the United States only 8 percent say they are "non religious." Of those, atheists are so small they can not be measured (< 0.1%), however agnostic (think there is a higher power, but not sure who or what) is only 0.7 percent.

Atheism is unique to undeveloped countries and scientists.

For instance from the rice patties of Vietnam we find one of the highest percentage of atheists at 81%.

And the difference between those governments that supress religion, such as China and the Soviet Union of the old days we see something interesting:

Almost 90% of East Germans were atheists while less than 10% in West Germany.

Ignorance and suppression tends to breed atheism.

The Chineese only teaching was Mao. They wanted their people to follow a government instead of a religion.

So the vast majority of atheists are based on ignorance and not their own study.

Your best bet is to organize China and be sure to keep following a government for your inspiration. Keep studying your Little Red Book that has only been around for 40 years with all the answers to life. :)

EXAMPLE

Mexico is a very religious county and the people are HERD people ,

and they are disorganised and argue about everything

In England ,South Africa ,Canada ,Europe,and the USA,amongst others,are millions of non religious or Pagan minded individualists.

(the oposite to Herd people ,many scattered and alone or in family units)

And all of them Agree on the fundamental sound and sustainable philosiphies.and many are also thinking of auto suficiency

so as far as mentality is concerned ,we are OK

But to be a super power ,the Meek should unite ,and we would rule the world or at least have the strength to make a difference for the safety of the Planet and the survival of Humanity

so let do it ,

Haleluyah,

i have been saying this for a while

Source(s): because i am one of them,http://360.yahoo.com/profile-6GwjWyMjdKOJDs8d5H5Vb...

Thank God I'm an agnostic, and a member of the silent majority. Most of these are too apathetic to voice their opinions evan when voting and also have very short memories of any Government blunders. Are you sure your statistics are correct, ,China's population is mainly buddist and there is over a billion of them alone

in the event that they're speaking for themselves, what are they saying? inspect all of the a number of religions there. that would not argue for something different then the reality that many people % to have a non secular corporation they're allied with. Your numbers do no longer take into approximately people who perceive with a definite faith yet who're no longer conventional attendees at centers, or who're regardless of they declare to be in call basically and for social motives basically, no longer non secular ones. It additionally would not evaluate lots of people who % to no longer be pointed out as atheist or agnostic because of the social risks in touch from time to time. mutually as interesting, those numbers are pointless in any sort of dialogue with regard to the reality of deity.

Oh they have...it is American Atheists, an educational organization for atheists. but doesn't that make them a RELIGION?

In fact, courts have declared that it is a religion if I am not mistaken so does that not mean that the so called separation of church and state mean that they are endorsing atheist as our national religion by demanding that Christianity can not be mentioned?

Unfortunately there is nothing to unite about except in opposition to the religious right. The Atheists and others have no common vision for changing or enforcing change on society except to try to preserve freedom of thought and speech.

What about me? I believe in God and the Bible and Jesus, but I am not religious. Go figure.

Atheists had the Soviet Union, but that didn't work out too well.

I seriously doubt Bush said that atheists aren't citizens. (But Bush bashers do tend to be a tad insane.)

-Aztec276

Yes, it is time. I am un religious , myself. May I point out that organized is spelt with a z, and not an s, without offending?