Lucy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What will happen if your dog or cat's whisker's gets cut off?

Do they need their whiskers?

Favorite Answer

Nothing will happen if you cut a dogs whiskers off.

Think about it...when a Poodle or a Cocker Spaniel (for i.e.) get groomed..their faces get shaved. I've never seen a dog get all disoriented after I've shaved it's face.

Now I have always heard that a cats whiskers are the same width as their body and they use them as feelers to see what they can or can't fit through. I honeslty don't know if that is true or just a myth. I've trimmed whiskers on cats before and never had them get stuck in anything.

First off, lets settle the balance myth. Whiskers have nothing to do with a cats balance, thats the tail. Whiskers, like the first person said, helps them measure to see if they will fit into something. If they are cut, the cat thinks it can fit and will get stuck in something. Whiskers will grow back and they are nerves, so they can FEEL, however, they are not used to feel for food. People that cut whiskers need to be slapped.

On dogs (don't know about cats) they act kind of disoriented and seem to have awkward balance. It doesn't seem to affect them too terribly much but being as it's no long necessary to cut whiskers in most breeds I wouldn't recommend it.

Source(s): Show dogs

They will grow back out only longer. Thats what happened to my family's cat. My little cousin cut of whiskers on one side of the cats face, and now it grew back out and it looks longer than the other side. =)

Yes, they do need their whiskers. They also have feeling in their whiskers. Do NOT cut them off. It will hurt.

Yes they do, I have been told by my vet that it helps with their equilibrium. In cats it helps they judge distance from getting in and out of small tight places. And in dogs it is their sense of basically the same thing and has sensory warnings about something that might be on the ground that could sting or harm them.

from what i have heard cats primarily use there whiskers to feel for their food...

They use it to measure places. They are the same width as their body. If you cut them off...the fire deparment will be cutting your cat out of a drain pipe.

• joyceelea is right! you should never cut them off, it messes up the cats balance and every thing!! how ever if the cat some how messed them up! they will grow back!!!

Source(s): fostered stary cats 3 years

They grow back just like hair nothing should happen to your pet