What is the first war the United States ever lost?

I'm interested in everyones thoughts on this.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The United States actually lost Red Cloud's War in which was fought between 1866 and 1868. I belileve that was the first war the United States officially lost.

People overlook this a lot because they fail to recognize the Native Nations, such as the Lakota people, as a nation. However, the United States officially recognized the Lakota as a sovereign nation with the signing of the first treaty with them.

A young Crazy Horse also fought in this war.

The United States was whooped and had to remove themselves from Lakota territory.

• 1 decade ago

The War Between the States. While technically they won and the confederates lost, in the end it was all of us who lost. The results of the US not splitting at that time are much worse than what would have happened if the South had successfully seceded. What we have now is an out of control monster of a government, whereas if the South was successful we would have two neighboring nations keeping each other in check. I'd love to see what the world would look like if the South was successful in it's secession.

• 1 decade ago

technically there isn't one. the "vietnam war" was never ratified by congress and therefore not technically a war - one of the reasons it was protested so much. i would guess you mean wars ratified by congress, and thus there are none. the war of 1812 was a stalemate - we neither lost nor gained any ground. the civil war is the only one i think is debatable on whether or not we won. yes, we won. yes, we lost. when a nation is at war with itself it can neither win nor lose. the outcome we had was definitely the better outcome, but i don't know that i would truly call it a win.

• quasar
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

1812 America lost 17000 killed or wounded British 5000, America won battle o new Orleans after a peace treaty was signed & it was maddison who sent an envoy to beg for peace,

that set the sceen for all the wars america has got into its a shame alot of brave men have died without any real victory's

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well lets see.

1. Vietnam> need I say more

2.1st Gulf war> Goerge Sr. never got control over the oilfields> Got torched by them Muslims

3. Iraq> with 2,000+ men and woman dead, its a given that U poor bastards have lost yet another war, Its Weird but with all ur modern technology u hillbillies can't seem to finish ur wars.

I think the U.S shud just go home and leave the starting and ending of wars to the big boys.

-eh!!!-

Source(s): ITS Common sense
  • 1 decade ago

The war between the television networks' news departments.

FOX News won, and America has been losing IQ points at an alarming rate ever since...

• 1 decade ago

war of 1812 because the us was fresh from reconstruction and hadn't yet formed an impressive military or even a national system of money. they did not gain control of the canadian border as they had orginally planned

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I disagree with the poster who said the Civil War.

I'm going out on a limb and say Iraq - why, because the Vietnamese have a government after the US left while US soldiers are being killed by insurgents in an unstable Iraq.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

War of 1812, could be argued as a loss more than a tie.

• Nick F
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Vietnam

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.