How do I become a CRA (Clinical Research Associate) to monitor clinical investigator sites?

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I'm a CRA. I got a degree in biomedical science and then a few years after I graduated I worked for 18 months as a data manager at a clinical trials logistics company (which involved a LOT of data entry).

    Then I applied for a monitor role at another company and got it.

    HOWEVER - There is no such thing as a typical entry route. A lot of the job ads want a "nursing background" or "monitoring experience" but don't be disheartened by this. There is a real skills shortage in this area so my advice is to get some experience within clinical trials and then just start to apply for some CRA jobs. Get to know about ICH-GCP and find some examples in your working life where you have shown attention-to-detail, have dealt with difficult people, have shown initiative etc... so that you can bring these up in interviews.

    It certainly helps to have a life-science degree or a nursing background... but I do have a friend who got in with neither of these by just becoming an admin assistant at a clinical research organisation. She worked her way up with hard work and the right attitude. You don't say what background you're coming from (?) but if you can get a role within a pharmaceutical company or CRO then you are on the right track. If you are finding it hard to find positions in the big pharma companies, also look at universities and hospitals that are often looking for data managers or study co-ordinators to help run trials at a local level. Then you are at least getting some clinical research experience and can move into a monitoring role at a later date.

    Hope this helps.Good luck!

    Source(s): Experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.