DIY - Problem with a bent drill bit!?

The drill bit is bent, and it wobbles. How do I drill a neat hole in the wall with this 1.5" drill bit, using an electric drilling machine?

No other bit is available, and the job has to be done quickly!

13 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    You can TRY to hammer it straight. A solid steel surface and a 3 lb hammer should do it. But, the odds of getting it perfect are slim. Still, if you have to; do your best and then drill at as slow a speed as you can manage and still make the cut. Try it out on a piece of scrap wood first. If the hole doesn't has to be perfect you should hit the hardware store.

    Source(s): Been there, done that.
  • 1 decade ago

    Well, unless you can wiggle the drill oposite to the wobble of the bit, I'd say you can't drill a neat hole in your wall. Go to the hardware store and get a new bit.

  • 1 decade ago

    make the bent drill dit a short a possible it will help with the wobble. or just drill slow try to put the dent part of the drill in the drill chuck

  • 1 decade ago

    Fabmom and cowboydoc, the 1.5" must mean the length, not diameter of the drill bit. A 1.5" diameter bit would not have gotten bent in the first place.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    warranties are meaningless to predict life of anything. In Oklahoma you get a warranty on everything, the warranty goes like this "If you buy a product and you walk out the door with it, and that product breaks into two pieces, Your warranty is that you get to keep both pieces". If the solar panel is broken by hail and trust me this happens, its up to YOU to fix. OH, and if you didn't tell your insurance company, they they won't have to pay. Most people carry at least $1000 deductible, so, you break a $1000 panel, it is your loss. PV panels degrade over time. After 20 years you may only get 60 to 80% of the original panels output. If a panel fails within the PV makers 20 year warranty period, you won't get a free one, you'll have to pay for normal wear and tare, shipping, handling, installation, and even worse, their new panel may not work with your old panel. Just figure on replacing the whole electrical system every 10 years and the panels every 20 years.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you are using a spade bit, you can cut off the bent portion of the drill bit.

  • FabMom
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    For a 1.5" hole, you need a keyhole saw. I've not seen a drill bit that size on anything you would use for a hole in a wall.

  • 1 decade ago

    You can still drill a hole, slowly and on hammer.

    Neat, not very.

    New drill bit would be the best (and safest) solution, unless you have no fear or do not care about your own health.

  • 1 decade ago

    A 1.5" hole? O.K. go to the nearest "Ace" hardware and get a "keyhole" saw bit. It's for making large holes for "Keyholes and door handles" They're quite inexpensive.

    These have a bit in the center to start the hole and guide you, there's a round saw blade that would be the size you want whether it's a one inch or bigger, up to I believe ten inches. You can't straighten out a hardened steel bit, it'll break. Unless you heat it with a torch and than you'll lose it's strength.

  • 1 decade ago

    You cant unless you have a vice and try to straighten the bit . I would leave it until you can get a new bit. The damage to the wall will cause you more work in the end . If you can limit the damage and then maybe fill it with a good quality filler

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.