Chevy Silverado V-6 or V-8?

Chevy Owners or Mechanics Only Please

I'll be getting a new Silverado in the next couple days. It's a work truck. It's almost impossible to find a V-8 with the other equipment I want down here (FL). I've had the small V-8's before but not a V-6. I won't be hauling much and won't be towing. Is the V-6 decent enough for power? Any big problems or negative things? Any help will be great. Please don't trash them if you have no experience with them. Thanks.

And please tell me when you owned a V-6 or V-8 in a Chevy truck

• 572ci.
    Favorite Answer

Tiny 96 s10...

If you get a v6, more then likely it will be a 4.3 liter (have one) and its basically a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off (literally, it is, same everything as a 350, its just missing two cylinders)..., great power in em, haul way more then what the bumper is rated at..., friend owns the 4.3 liter in a full size extended cab, and he runs the crap out of it, hauls motorcycles, etc..., has over 150,000 miles on his.

Over 200,000 on mine.

if you don't need the power for hauling and towing a 6 is good enough to get you around town. the 6 has enough power to do lots but an 8 will always do more if you really need it. 6 will be better on gas as well. buy the truck for what you plan on doing not what you might per chance. chev's rock on

If you're not hauling anything v6 is powerful enough

Nope. Lots of differences. If you're going to swap, buy the whole thing harnesses, computer and all.