Chevy Silverado V-6 or V-8?

Chevy Owners or Mechanics Only Please

I'll be getting a new Silverado in the next couple days. It's a work truck. It's almost impossible to find a V-8 with the other equipment I want down here (FL). I've had the small V-8's before but not a V-6. I won't be hauling much and won't be towing. Is the V-6 decent enough for power? Any big problems or negative things? Any help will be great. Please don't trash them if you have no experience with them. Thanks.

Update:

And please tell me when you owned a V-6 or V-8 in a Chevy truck

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 572ci.
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Tiny 96 s10...

If you get a v6, more then likely it will be a 4.3 liter (have one) and its basically a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off (literally, it is, same everything as a 350, its just missing two cylinders)..., great power in em, haul way more then what the bumper is rated at..., friend owns the 4.3 liter in a full size extended cab, and he runs the crap out of it, hauls motorcycles, etc..., has over 150,000 miles on his.

Over 200,000 on mine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you don't need the power for hauling and towing a 6 is good enough to get you around town. the 6 has enough power to do lots but an 8 will always do more if you really need it. 6 will be better on gas as well. buy the truck for what you plan on doing not what you might per chance. chev's rock on

• 1 decade ago

If you're not hauling anything v6 is powerful enough

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Nope. Lots of differences. If you're going to swap, buy the whole thing harnesses, computer and all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.