I've just found out i'm pregnant, but the babys father has type1 diabetes,does this mean my baby will have it?

Best Answer

Not entirely, but just so you know, some women actually develope "temporary" diabetes while pregnant (I don't want you getting scared if it happens).

Either way if the father has then the doctors can run tests and monitor the baby to make sure everythings ok. They will probably suggest to each healthier and stay away from items with a high concentrate of carbohydrates.

Diabetes runs on my father's side of the family. My uncle doesn't have it, I don't have it neither do my sister or brother. It doesn't mean that later on it won't develope though. My father had check ups every year to make sure his sugar level was normal and last year, at 48, he developed it but he keeps it under control.

Your baby will probably not be born with diabetes but take the medicine the doctors give you to control your levels and get your child in the habit of getting yearly blood tests for safety's sake. Good luck with everything, don't worry about anything, and congrats :)

Source(s): I have delt with both types of diabetes, it runs in my family. Here is a great site about diabetes, whether you develope it while pregnant or even just to get some more information on diabetes... http://www.umassmed.edu/diabeteshandbook/chap13.ht...

Don't worry too much. There is only a small risk that your baby might contract it. In the big picture of things there are too many other things to worry about right now. Just enjoy your pregnancy and plan for your delivery of a beautiful baby!!!

I found this on MayoClinic.com

Genetics play a role in type 1 diabetes — but to a lesser degree than in type 2 diabetes. In general, a child has an increased risk of type 1 diabetes if a parent has the disease. But the risk is still low. Factors that influence this risk include:

* The sex of the parent with diabetes. The risk of type 1 diabetes in the general population is 1 percent to 2 percent. If your mother has type 1 diabetes, your risk is 2 percent to 4 percent. If your father has it, your risk is 6 percent to 8 percent.

* The age at which the parent developed diabetes. The younger the age, the greater the risk that the child will get the disease.

Type 1 diabetes is one of the most common childhood diseases. It usually begins in puberty. Scientists have identified a gene mutation (SUMO-4) that, when present, increases the risk of this disease in children.

It is wise to know possible medical problems that can occur through genetics so you can monitor them. Just don't spend your time stressing over the what ifs!!!

• BAR

I am a type 1 diabetic, My doctors, diabetes educator, and my childrens doctor have all told me not to worry there is only a 3-5 % chance of a child having/getting diabetes if the parent is type 1 (for the child of a type 2 diabetic the chance is 30=%) But I do have a friend that is type 1 and his 5 year old son is also type 1.

Don't worry at all, the baby is very very unlikely to get it. There are many cases where the whole line of fathers side has a certain disease, for example MS, and the baby never gets it, the genes have to be a perfect match, so a ver low chance, bottm line DONT WORRY, be happy ur pregnant! Congrats

Diabetes in the father does not affect the developing baby during pregnancy. However, depending on the type of diabetes the father has, the baby might have a greater chance of developing diabetes later in life.

Many common natural remedies are claimed to have blood sugar lowering properties that make them useful for people with or at high risk of diabetes. Learn here https://tr.im/kGslS

A number of clinical studies have been carried out in recent years that show potential links between herbal therapies and improved blood glucose control, which has led to an increase in people with diabetes using these more 'natural' ingredients to help manage their condition.

No there is no gaurntee but it does increase your child's risk due to genetic factors. If you know the symptoms and feed your child a balanced healthy diet and encourage exercise and a healthy life style your risk are reduced but genetics is a funny thing. My son got type I at 8 1/2 months and we did not know diabetes type 2 ran on both my husband and my side until my son was diagnosed.

Source(s): Exerienced mother and nursing student

I am a diabetic mother of six children, i have had type 1 diabetes for 30 odd years, none of my children have diabetes.

In my family my mother, two sisters one brother and two nieces all have diabetes,

your child has no more risk of getting diabetes than any one else.

If one of my children are drinking a lot or going to the toilet a lot i do a blood test on that child, just be aware of the signs of diabetes, it is always better to catch it early.

congratulations on the forthcoming event.

If you would like to get more info, you could visit www.diabetsnow.co.uk

Not necessarily. There is a chance of the child possibly developing type 1 diabetes, but it is a 50% chance.

• x

I'm type 1 and had 2 normal daughters. Don't sweat it.