When changing jobs, is it better to accept an offer before or after informing your current employer...?

...that you are leaving? I am trying to leave the door open for my current employer to make a counter-offer.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    First of all, never inform your current employer of anything until you have a firm offer from company B. Your next step depends on whether Company B is just a lateral move, or a real promotion with more money.

    Assuming Company B offered you more money/benefits/promotion, the only way you're going to get your company to counter-offer and match or exceed the more money/benefits/promotion would be if you showed them that you are worth that additional $$ to them. Just because a different company offered you more $$ doesn't mean you're worth more money to the company you're at now. Make a list of your accomplishments and contributions (preferably showing how you made them money or saved them money), then sit down with your boss and tell him/her why you believe you deserve more money/benefits/promotion.

    If your boss gives you a counter-offer, remember that this may affect future promotions and other decisions negatively. In other words, you've just shown them that you're willing to leave them so they know you're not loyal to them. Their counter-offer had better be good for you to decide to stay. If your company doesn't counter-offer or offers something less attractive than company B, then accept the offer from company B and enjoy the progress in your career!

    Source(s): Monster.com has a great bulletin board with "salary and negotiation tips" that you can read. It's very informative.
  • spot
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    Wait till you get the written offer in hand. At that point, the new job is secure and all you have to do is to sign and send in by the date indicated. Then, go to your employer and tell them. Be specific about how much you want, so they can get back with you quickly. I had a friend who got an offer, went to his employer hoping the employer will make an offer to keep him, but, all he got was "Well, good luck with your new job." So, make sure the new job is what you really want before you play a trick like that.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I always find it best to accept an offer from the new employer and then hand your notice in the following day after securing a new job. You dont want to risk your curent job by telling them that you are leaving before you have a secure job to go to when you leave.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you are trying for a counter-offer, tell your employer immediately so they can decide what kind of counter-offer to give you if any. Tell them you need to know by the end of the working day you inform them.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Never take the counter-offer. If there are reasons that you are looking now, you will be looking again in three months and may not be able to find a better offer at that time.

    As always, accept a new position and have a start date worked out before you give notice.

  • 1 decade ago

    tell your possible new employer that you need a few days to think it over, then go to your current employer and tell him you have had a job offer and are considering taking it. if they dont make an offer in a day or two they probably are not going to make an offer so you are free to take the new job.

  • 1 decade ago

    You could accept the job verbally, as long as you don't sign a contract there is nothing set in stone, or why don't you pretend to your current employer that you have accepted an offer and see what they say.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.