Why do countries such as North Korea and Iran feel the need to develop nuclear bombs?

The majority of the counties in the world have peace treaties, and aren't at war. Why is it, that countries such as Iran and North Korea feel the need to develop nuclear bombs, when there is no threat posed to them from anyone else? I understand that having nuclear bombs is a form of defence: a last resort to... show more The majority of the counties in the world have peace treaties, and aren't at war. Why is it, that countries such as Iran and North Korea feel the need to develop nuclear bombs, when there is no threat posed to them from anyone else?
I understand that having nuclear bombs is a form of defence: a last resort to wipe out another nation before they wipe you out. But if in this day and age no country poses the threat of nuclear action or war against your own country, why is there a need to go nuclear?
It is my belief that North Korea and Iran could well be threatening the very delicate stability of the world with their actions, which is unnecessary.
Are their actions purely to be up to scratch with the rest of the world, or do their actions have a sinister reason to them?
Are their actions to improve defence, or add another element to a possible attack?
What are your thoughts on this serious matter?
Update: To Robespierre: The U.S did indeed nuke the Japanese (twice) despite the Jap's lack of nuclear weapon: however, the U.S and the Japanese were at war, and the Japanese refused to give up. They were nuked to save tens of thousands of American lives. The nukes brought an end to the War! America did indeed... show more To Robespierre:
The U.S did indeed nuke the Japanese (twice) despite the Jap's lack of nuclear weapon: however, the U.S and the Japanese were at war, and the Japanese refused to give up. They were nuked to save tens of thousands of American lives. The nukes brought an end to the War!
America did indeed threaten to nuke Iraq if they looked like losing: again, at War, and this action would have saved thousands of lives again!
As for France suggesting they'd use nukes to anyone posing a threat to them: you have just agreed with what I said: they would use nukes as a form of defence. If someone threatens you, and says they will take action against you, how do you defend yourself as a country? DUH! You win the idiot award good sir..
23 answers 23