should i add more ram to my laptop to improve cpu performance?

i have a laptop with a celeron m 1.4 ghz cpu. it has only 256mb of ram and the video card uses some of it too. i want to record video with this computer but when i record, it says that it's using 100% of the cpu. if i add a 1 gb stick of ram into the computer, will that make my cpu able to perform more difficult tasks like recording video? thanks for your help.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Adding more memory probably won't reduce the CPU usage by that much. But it will mean that you'll be able to store more files and information in the memory. When a PC has more data to store than it has memory, it starts using the hard drive to store it. Hard drives are thousands of times slower than your memory. Adding more memory means your computer will have a lot more space to store stuff, so it won't have to rely on storing stuff on the hard drive.

Windows XP itself can use about 230MB of ram, however thanks to virtual memory there's still plenty free for other programs. But adding 1 GB will drastically improve your systems speed. Make sure to consult your website manufaturer's website first to find out the maximum ram your laptop can hold. Older systems can be limited to 752 or 1 GB of ram.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Since it is a Celeron it has a lower L2 Cache System there is only so much RAM the laptop can add before you barely see the diffrence. I am running on a 1.3ghz Celeron Laptop with 512MB RAM. It seems fine enough allready.

Your laptop has 256 RAM then yes, you should add more RAM I think adding another 256-512MB Stick should be more then enough. If you want to go even faster then upgrade your celeron processor to 1.6+ghz if your motherboard takes it.

You can also increase your computer paging file size

Right Click->My computer-> Advance->Preformance option(Settings) Just raise the paging file size by 100 on each side.

Todays standard of RAM is 512 a laptop needs at least 512MB RAM to preform better because your onbard video card is allready using 64MB so 256-64MB=192MB RAM 192 is actually the total amount of RAM your computer has to process everything since the 64 is reserve for video memory only

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes 256 isn't quite enough to cut it these days. Put maybe 1GB in there total

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can't have enough ram (256 is insufficient for almost everything).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

add mor than that like 2 gb i guess if it is possible

the more the merrier LOL

• 1 decade ago

upgrade to 1024

• duhhhhhhhhhhhhh... windows XP need at least 256 mb ram...

and ma advise to u, don do video shits (edittin nd monterin) with laptops... u need smthin like opteron...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, you should add more ram.

• 1 decade ago

more is better also goto start , all programs,startup and delete everything there and turn off your messengers fromstarting on startup

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.