Taz
Taz asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Help! What to do with Max?

My dog is JEALOUS of the dog next door...

You see, my neighbor has a puppy and when she comes over or calls me, my Max starts barking and acting irrational towards her or me. Once she has gone Max is his noremal self.

Favorite Answer

sounds like max is the boss of you hes saying you are his and he plans to let everyone know that. you need to get control of the situation before other bad behaviors start poping up

My Max is Doggie aggressive (jealous) of all the dogs in my area...DUH...dogs are like people and will "protect" whats theirs.

I would have your friend put her puppy on a leash (for his protection) and put Max on a leash(keep it short as close to you as possible) as soon as Max starts acting out give him a quick tug on his leash, put him at sit & stay and say in a firm even manner "leave it" do not use his name, just tell him to "leave it".

Do this everytime he starts to get agressive, little by little let your friend bring her dog closer to Max (all the while you must have controll over your dog) when he's ready let him smell the puppy.

It would be a good idea to try this in the park or anywhere else away from Max's home, nuterall territories work better.

PS Please don't throw water on your dog, this could not be healthy....for you or him...

Max is not just jealous of the dog maybe its jealous of you. you might want to try spending more time till he gets it off his mind.

Thats normal. Max needs more exposure to your friend and her dog.

Dogs have a very good sense about character. Maybe you should listen to your dog.

Have you tried to get them aquainted? If you show equal affection towards both, he might be nicer.

this is natural dog behavior. i wouldnt worry about it. your dog probably likes the other dog.

like most animal... dogs are territorial... and probably doesn't like the puppy invading his space

you should throw a bucket of water on max when he barks

you should just rub max when the other dog is there to where he gets a red rocket..........he'll like that..........HAA HAA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!