What is an ideal Christening gift?

I was invited to an old friend from high schools first born childs (non-traditional) christening ceremony in 2 weeks. The child is a boy and I have no idea what type of gift to take to a Christening as I have never been to one. Im not sure if the gift should be more for the child or the parents. Please help!

Favorite Answer

Some of the things that my son received for his christening that we loved:

St Christopher's medal (traditional christening gift - he actually received two!)

"The Giving Tree" book by Shel Silverstein

"Oh the places you'll go" book by Dr. Seuss

Silver plated piggy bank with initials engraved

Silver cup with initials engraved

Savings bond

You should go to a Christian Book Store. They have tons of stuff there for Christenings. Cards, Baby's 1st Bibles etc. My parents got all of my kids engraved crosses...I think they were by Precious Moments. They had my childs full name and the Christening date. I'll always cherish them as they are so personal. You could also get a plaque or a picture frame, engraved or not.

Either way, I totally suggest a Christian Book Store. It'll be easier for you to find a gift there.

Good Luck on your search !

Source(s): Mom to 3

I'm not sure what a non-traditional christening is??

Well, it's perfectly acceptable to buy something that you would buy for a b-day (toys, clothes). If you are close with her, you could choose something a little more sentimental and religious/spiritual related such as a cross (I saw really cute ones with the precious moments characters on them), jewellery stores and a store called Things Engraved (maybe you've heard of that) has nice selections as well. You could also get him a book of Bible stories

Gift is for the baby

I think the perfect christening gift is a savings bond. Why, because it is something that they will hold onto for many years to come, and it shows that you are thinking about the childs future.

You should take a gift for the baby. You could make a basket of things like sleepers and little rattles and such. You may even ask the parents if they have registered somewhere and then you will know exactly what to get! Good luck!

i know that at christenings people usually give money in a card..this is helpful if the parents need to buy baby something like diapers or formula.