wildcat asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Why are people so interested in chatting online. I can't get myself to stop :-)?

I have so many things to do but find myself hooked on this, Is that bad or is there a mental reason for it. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

You know, this is really the first time in human history that people have had the ability to interract with so many others from virtually anywhere on the planet. We can "touch base" with a zillion total s trangers, and learn about what they think and feel and believe about this or that thing, and express our own thoughts back. Sometimes we really "connect" with that other person and it makes you realise "wow, I'm NOT the only person who thinks that way" Other times we realise just how different the views of other people can be from our own. For the first time we are discovering how wide and incredibly powerful is this "link" that we truly have with our fellow beings, even a cross the widest expanses of space, whether it is geographical, or in terms of our cultural and intellectual variety" There are some wackos out there, of course, and we may have to wade through a lot of manure to find the occasional diamond. But overall, it's a good thing, and I like to believe it will eventually play a big role in helping us to accept one another much more than we often have done in the past.

i can only speak for myself. i am an internet junkie myself. i work with the same people day in and day out and this is an easy way to meet new and different people from all over the world. also it is a good and cheap way to keep in touch with friends and family that are far away.

Its not bad, but it does kill a lot of your time.

I think the reason WHY its so amazingly popular, is because its easier than talking on the phone, because you can delete words you don't really want to use, and because you can think of what to say without any of the akward pauses.

I find myself in the exact situation as you. I spend most of my free time on either this site, or some other useless forum. I guess it IS an addiction in a way, but it's better than my cigarette addiction at least.. lol

because online you can become whoever you want. you can say that you are a sexy nurse while you are a 50 year old grandpa. you can also have sex with anyone you like and it is not consudered cheating.(how can it be cheating, there is no touching?).in a way you can fulfill your ultimate fantasies. and there is no way (if you dont meet in person)you can get caught. so you can also play out your deepest darkest fantasies.thjats why its sooo addictive.

• DJ

It's just the curiosity of knowing what other people in the world think. It's like one big conference call.

Most peopl chat online because they are bored

because you can actually talk online instead of the phone and it gets you relaxed and makes you feel good

It's easier to open up in type. Can you really say you yak that much in realtime?

because people can be as suave and smooth as they want when they have some time to think ; )