Democracy versus Republic?

I am confused here. Republic means "government by elected representatives". Democracy means "government in which the power is vested in all the people". Don't we have both? We vote for people to have the power to rule over the people. Call me stupid, that's fine. I am getting into... show more I am confused here. Republic means "government by elected representatives". Democracy means "government in which the power is vested in all the people". Don't we have both? We vote for people to have the power to rule over the people.

Call me stupid, that's fine. I am getting into politics more this year and I am getting confused with what my friends and parents are telling me. I understand our election process and such. But the words 'democracy' and 'republic' confuse me. Then reading the definitions of these 2 words and learning about the differences btn Democrats and Republicans and Liberals confuses me more. Can anyone suggest some reading material or websites (unbias) for me to look at to come to a full understanding on this all? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Right now the Republicans have control of the house & we are trying to set up a democracy for Iraq. How can Republicans have a democracy? and push a democracy onto a foreign country? Do we have the right to do that?