2 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1) In heavy, 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth.
2) Gradually stir in milk; cook until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes more. Add cheese; stir until melted. Yields 2 cups.
"Wisconsin Cheese Fondue" - 6 servings
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (1 lb.)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 cup beer
1 tsp. Worcestershire
Pumpernickel or rye bread; cubed
1) In large bowl, toss cheese, cornstarch and mustard to coat cheese.
2) In 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat beer and Worcestershire until hot, but not boiling.
3) With fork or wire whisk, gradually stir in cheese. Cook over low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and bubbling, stirring constantly. Pour into fondue pot for serving. Keep warm over low heat on fondue stand.
4) To serve: Let each person spear chunks of bread on long-handled fondue fork and dip into fondue. Yields 2 1/2 cups.
(I'm sure you'll adjust this for a family with kids... )
"Campbell's Great American Cookbook"