Mak asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

What's a homer? I hear it all the time on sports radio, when refering to a person. and no it's not a homerun.

Favorite Answer

A homer, usually used in reference to a sportscaster, is someone who displays an obvious bias for the team they regularly call play-by-play for... A good example for hockey is how if a player on team A elbows a player on team B in the face, it is called "A good clean hit", whereas, if a player on team B does the same thing, it's called "a dirty play"...

• teeter

A Homer

• ?

I've heard the term primarily in reference to sportscasters. It means a guy who roots for the home team, often beyond the point of being reasonable - i.e., complaining about any call that goes against your team even when it's blatantly obvious that it was correct.

Harry Caray was probably the best example of a "homer", in this sense of the word.

• Larry

Homer Simpson, Homerun, or Homer is the name of the sportscaster

it's an announcer who is biased toward his home team or former team or whatever. michael irvin of ESPN is the perfect example. last week on the air he called his former team, the 3-3 cowboys, the best team in the NFL. now that's a homer.

It's Homer Simpson. It's just a quote like when they say, "Call me butter cuz I'm on a roll." You might hear Homer used for baseball when someone Errs. Example, "I think that's a Homer cuz I just heard the pitcher say, "Dohh!!"

• Homer simpson

Maybe they are referring to Homer Simpson

everyone is wrong except honoraiu or whatever, someone with an obvious bias to one team, usually seen on local broadcasts, but not always, joe buck is a homer for the cards cuz his daddy did cards games hundreds of years ago.

A homer is usually a person, umpire or annoncer who favors the home team.