Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

What's the proper way to address a married couple in print, and socially? ie: John & Jane Doe, or Jane & John

Who's name comes first, the man's, or the wife's?

John & Jane Doe, or Jane & John Doe? I've seen both, but what's the proper way to display?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • jizzi
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The nicest way is Mr and Mrs John Doe (if being introduced at a formal occasion or written on an envelope).

If you are younger than then it should be Mr and Mrs Doe.

If you are their age then it is Jane and John Doe.

If they have given you the permission to call them Jane & John then that is what you do.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

For formal occasions and formal events, it is Mr. and Mrs. John Doe. If you do not know them very well, still use the formal address, even for very casual events. You address invitations in the formal, and you introduce them formally. It is their move to then say, call us John and Jane.

For very informal events, like a backyard neighborhood BBQ, and you know them very well, Jane and John is fine on the invite.If everyone at the BBQ knows them well, you would say, here is Jane and John!.

Old school is the man's name comes first. New school is the woman's name comes first. I like the woman's name first. She takes care of the correspondence, usually, and in my mind, ladies go first.

• Anne R
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Generally it is worded as Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Doe, or if she doesn't share his name she is addressed first, as in Jane__ and John Doe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If I don't use Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, I use John and Jane Doe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe

• 1 decade ago

Properly it is Male then Female ie: John and Jane Doe.

• 1 decade ago

Well unfortun. for women rights, it always goes husband's name first..mr and mrs john and jane doe. mr john and mrs jane doe.

• 1 decade ago

ive seen Mr. and Mrs. John Doe

• 1 decade ago

Mr. & Mrs. John Doe, or John and Judy Doe or Mr & Mrs. Doe.Good luck and God bless

• 1 decade ago

I've seen a lot of women who are married and consider themselves feminists to be offended when you address them as husband and wife. Instead, you should refer to them as wife and husband, or say the wife's name first before her husbands. Mrs. & Mr. Doe for example.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.