Seabass asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Would this be an ok stocking for my 20 gallon freshwater community tank?

I would like to have about 3 guppies, 2 platies, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 otocinclus, and about 8 neon tetras. Would this be an ok amount for my 20 gallon tank? If not, what would be better, and if yes, could I add more, and of what kind. I have 2 male guppies and 1 female guppy. What do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

I would add some bottom feeders to your tank as well, maybe some khuli loaches. Also you might want to try some hardy little fish like zebra danio's or white cloud minnows. A pleco would be an alright fish to throw in as well to do some algea control. You could even add a ghost shrimp to spice it up.....as long as the most of your fish are small. Let us know how it works out.

• Carson

It sounds pretty good, as long as you get a dwarf gourami and not a larger breed. If I were you, I would have more female guppies than males so the males don't pick on your female too much. I would also get rid of the platys and the oto and put in a school of cories (4) to occupy the bottom level. Good luck, it should be a nice tank.

• wax

No project. i might advise a pair greater neons and 3-4 greater otos. Otos look lots nicer and do greater suitable in faculties. a million DG is large. Breeding shouldn't modern-day a project as those are all egg layers and the neons and gourami will conveniently consume any eggs they locate. risk are except you flow to particular efforts, you does no longer be waiting to maintain the fry alive besides.

This should be alright provided you have sufficiently rated filter. A good rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water.

every thing sounds fine to me except maybe the Grammies they tend to be a bit more aggressive than the rest and as long as you float your bags before adding them for about 30 min each i wouldn't worry about adding them all I did mine that way and don't be surprised if a few die some time's the move is to much and i wouldn't let it discourage you Lotta luck to ya!!

Source(s): breeding and fish friend owner for 6 years!

This would be pushing it. It's doable, but you need to stock slowly, and watch out for the nitrate build up.

yep