What does the key "Prt Scr SysRq" in the computer keyboard mean?

Dear Friends Online,

One of the keys in my new Computer Keyboard has the letters “Prt Scr” on the top and “SysRq” on the bottom mentioned on it. What does that mean? Does that mean two different commands or one single command? How to use it? How to “Undo” its use, once used?

Thinking it to be the good old “Print Screen” command, I recently used it to save a picture from a website on “Microsoft Paint”. It saved as a bitmap image, though the original picture is a JPEG file. Now any picture (jpegs) I save (only the picture and not the entire screen shot) on ANY PROGRAM is getting saved only as a BITMAP IMAGE and NOT AS A JPEG FILE. In fact, the only option I get when I use “Save As” is the bitmap option. Worse still, once the picture gets saved as a bitmap image, the original picture in the website DOES NOT WORK OFFLINE. I am confused and just don’t know what to do. How to use this key properly and also to correct the above problems? Does somebody know? Please help. Thank you very much.

• Mashu
    Best Answer

Print Screen ive used for videogames. In certain games, like oblivion, you change a certain code and it unlocks screen capture. Which is what print screen does in the game. But, beyond that, i dont know.

• kareen

Prt Scr Sysrq

I can answer a portion of this question. "prt scr" allows you to take a snapshot of whatever is on your screen. You press that key, then open up any type of word document (i.e. MS Word, WordPerfect, or even WordPad in your Accessories folder). Then paste (usually ctrl - v) and you will see what was on the screen.

SysRq stands for System Request.

MSPaint, by default, saves everything as a bmp file. I believe WinXP is the first OS that lets you save an MSPaint file as (almost) anything other than bmp.

If you need a freeware basic image editor, get iRFanView. You can get it from http://www.download.com.

• ?

haha thats funny I'm at work too and VERY sleepy I wish the HOME key did work like that! but sadly it just takes you back to the beginning of the sentence so don't press it too much you may have to start your night over again LOL

u can capture an exact image which u r seeing the moment and open it in paint

try and see

cheers