Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

When calling a Customer Service line etiquette......?

I just called my health insurance and the customer service rep. I spoke with, hardly spoke English, I felt like telling her if I could be transferred to someone who was more fluent in speaking English. I could barely understand what she was saying to me. Would it be rude if I had told her to transfer me to someone who was more fluent???

• skip
    Favorite Answer

It all depends on how you say it. If you cannot transact your business with the person who answers the phone, you have every right to ask to speak with someone who can help you. Tact is the key, I think.

This happens so often now! Calls are transferred to an offshore office in India and they answer. Sometimes they speak English, but they don't understand the complexities of the language, which makes it a problem unless your question is very simple. I ask to be transferred to an English-speaking representative when that happens. I also have complained to the company - spcifically (in my case) Capitol One Bank.

No that would not have been rude. Health Insurance is important...and if there is a language barrier that may cost you a lot of money or your life. If you felt that would have offended them...just ask to speak with a manager. Hopefully the help desk was not overseas where the whole team had an accent. If it is...where most help desks are going then you would have been screwed.

No this is not rude at all. I mean you don't want to say something like. "Let me talk to someone who can speak better than you idiot." I don't think that would be very nice. However, if you kindly state that you think there may be some communication problems and that you would like to speak to a supervisor. You should be good. Unless you are calling Earthlink. You'll never be able to speak to someone that you can understand. Good Luck.

see i have been a customer service rep too but i spoke good english lol.............

hey but

if you had a problem and you had to get it solve thenyou should have talked to a supervisor and then wrote a complaint to the Company about the problem with the customer care rep

because unless you dont keep up your responsibilites you wouldnt get proper service from the company they will think you are happy and so they will continue with the same

if they are working for an american company with american customers, they should be able to speak and understand fluent english. i don't think it's rude. i don't like that our jobs are outsourced to other countries, but i like that it does help other countries. it could be interpretted as rude, but i think it was more rude to higher someone who could not perform the job.

No, you were talking about an issue where all questions should be answered and understood by both parties. I would have asked to speak to someone else in that situation.

No, politely asking for an English speaking person isn't rude. Surely it must be as frustrating for the other person as it is you!

Remember you are calling "Customer Service" and you are the "Customer". If they are not servicing you correctly ask for someone else.

No, not at all. I've done this before. It's their problem if they get angry.