Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Reason for multiple miscarriages?

I have got pregnant 3 times and each one ended in a miscarriage, all while I was in my 2nd or 3rd month. My doctor told me that i was a habitual aborter. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry for your losses. I too have had multiple pregnancy losses as well.

Recently, it was found that I have ANA + antibodies in my blood. My second test results are not back yet, but this could be a reason why I keep miscarrying. When my results get back, I will be meeting with a perinatoligst (an obstetric subspecialty for high risk prenancies) and possibly a rheumatoligist as the antibody they found is related to the immune system.

I suggest that you have your OBGYN run a full panel of blood tests on you include tests for thyroid function, protien levels, antibodies, clotting factors, hormone levels etc. Also, if you do become pregnant again and loose the baby, ask that genetic tests be done on the fetal tissue (which will mean you will need to go in for a D & C) to check for chromosomal abnormalities etc.

From all of my own research, and I've done alot, the medical community is not 100% sure what causes miscarriages, or why some women, like us, have multiple losses. There are tests though that you can try to see if there are problems. Many times miscarriage is due to chromosomal abnormalities of the fetus, (for example too many chromosomes, not enough chromsomes etc).

Anyway, go in have the tests run, and if you don't get the answers you want, or the attention you think you need, get a second opinion or even a third. Have many people look over your blood tests to see that nothing has been missed, and just have faith that you will find out what is wrong. My MIL had 12 miscarriages mixed in with her 8 kids, I've had my losses, and my sisters in law have also had many losses, but many children as well.

I write a blog about my experiences with miscarriage http://miscarriagejournal.blogspot.com/ . Read it if you want, comment and know that you're not alone, you have sisters in this with you. All the best to you, and I hope you can find the answers you seek.

Dont listen to the caffine bullshyt! Caffine has nothing to do with miscarrying. Had this person ever been pregnant, he or she would know that it is okay to have a certain amount of caffine during your pregnancy. As a matter of fact NO ONE can tell you WHY miscarriages happen. It could be that the fetus wasn't developing properly, it could be that you have an incompetant cervix, it could be that you have low progesterone.

Plain and simple, it could be a number of things but no one knows why it happens. What you need to do is take prenatal and folic acid prior to getting pregnant. Also have the doctor monitor your progesterone, if it is too low, you can take suppositories. Check and make sure that you are able to carry a baby to full term. Some women need their cervix sewed shut in order to carry to term.

Basically, just get a full medical check up and talk to your doctors.

Your doctor did not go more indepth about why this could be happening--- just said "habitual aborter"? Have they run tests on you? Have they run tests on the aborted fetus? After my second miscarriage my doctor ran additional tests and since my second miscarriage required a D&C (no heartbeat) they ran tests on the tissue. I would inquire further with your doctor. If your doctor is not incline to discuss this or answer your questions, I would consider getting a new doctor. Good luck!

• Laurie

I am so sorry for your losses. I miscarried this month and I know the pain. My doctor says in my cases it is most likely a chromosomal abnormality. In other cases with multiple miscarriages, it could be uterine problems, blood clotting disorders, hormonal imbalances such as low progesterone, or immune system malfunctions such as a high amount of what is called "natural killer cells." I have a friend who suffered through multiple miscarriages and her doctor did a recurrent pregnancy loss blood panel. It was found that she has an elevated clotting disorder. She was put on low dose aspirin and is now in her second trimester with twins (IVF). I had another friend who have multiple miscarriages and she ended up having MTHFR where her body was not absorbing folic acid. She was put on a medication (I can't remember the name) to help with that. She is not pregnant and about due. I've done lots of research about what testing to do after multiple miscarriages. Here are several tests that I would look in to: Ovarian reserve screening: a blood test done at a certain point in your cycle to see if your eggs are too old to function reliably. Androgen levels: blood tests to measure male hormone levels. TSH and prolactin levels: blood tests for hormone levels that indicate whether your thyroid and pituitary glands are functioning properly. Leukocyte antibody detection and embryotoxic factor: blood tests to determine whether your immune system is attacking the pregnancy. Antiphosphotidylserine, PAI-1 levels, MTHFR, prothrombin II mutation, and Factor V leiden: blood clotting tests that may indicate an increased risk of forming blood clots in the small blood vessels of the placenta, which may interfere with continuation of the pregnancy. Fasting insulin levels: a blood test to determine whether you have insulin resistance, which may increase the risk of miscarriage. Endometrial biopsy: a minor surgical procedure to sample the uterine lining (endometrium) approximately 12 days after the urine LH surge indicates impending ovulation; this may show whether the uterine lining has appropriately developed to support a pregnancy. Saline hysterosonogram: an ultrasound test in which a small amount of salt water is injected into the uterine cavity during a scan; this may show uterine scar tissue, polyps or other anomalies that may interfere with growth of the pregnancy. I wish you much luck!

• EmLa

Consuming caffeine has been associated with a two times greater risk of miscarriage. Caffeine is in soda, coffee, espresso, decaf, iced tea, colas, Excedrin headache medicine, and chocolate. Are you avoiding all caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and other prescription and over-the-counter drugs and medications? This may be especially important for some people.

Also, are you taking 1,000 mcg per day of Folic acid? Some people need more folic acid. I have heard of some women getting a blood test to determine if they are deficient in folic acid. Have you been tested for this?

Also, I would wait at least 6 months and preferably one year after a m/c to try again to give your body chance to recoup and heal and recover so you can support the next pregnancy.

Other than that, I might get second opinion, perhaps from a fertility specialist or OB that specializes in high -risk pregnancy to try and find out the reason.

Taken from : http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/...

Preventing Miscarriage

Another problem that many women face during pregnancy is threatened miscarriage. Miscarriage can result from stress, poor diet, toxins, smoking, alcohol, hormonal imbalance, trauma, weak uterine muscles, and other problems. It can also be a natural response to a condition such as fetal abnormality. There are many herbs that can help prevent miscarriages but will not interfere with the natural process of miscarriage when the fetus is damaged or improperly secured. 10

Several herbs can be taken in small amounts during pregnancy if there is a risk of miscarriage. The most prominent of these is black haw, which has a long history of use for preventing miscarriage as well as for menstrual problems and as a uterine tonic. In the 19th century it was used to stop miscarriage, and it is still used in Europe today, even to counteract the effect of abortion drugs. In the American South it was well known to slave owners. The slave owners would rape slave women to increase the number of slaves. These women knew of an herb that would bring on a miscarriage; but the slave owners forced the women to drink a strong decoction of black haw to prevent miscarriage. 11

Black haw contains several powerful uterine relaxants. It works by reducing the severity of contractions and relieving uterine cramping throughout pregnancy. It does not relax a normal uterus; it only relaxes when the contractions are excessive, and so it does not interfere with the normal contractions of labor. Like aspirin, it contains salicins and thus has pain-killing properties.

Cramp bark, a near relative of black haw, has many of the same components and is used in much the same way. Cramp bark is an antispasmodic. It is especially helpful in preventing miscarriage due to stress or anxiety, and it can be safely used over prolonged time to treat threatened miscarriage without side effects if necessary. Other herbs that have been used in this way include false unicorn root, lobelia, red raspberry, and wild yam.

If a miscarriage occurs in the first few weeks of pregnancy, it may be due to low progesterone levels. If this is the case, wild yam or chaste tree berry, which can raise progesterone levels, may be useful. Other useful nutrients for threatened miscarriage include zinc, vitamin E, and bioflavonoids. Low levels of zinc have been associated with spontaneous abortion and premature delivery. Bioflavonoids are especially useful in women with frequent miscarriages. 12 One recent study found that reduced serum folic acid levels are a risk factor as well. 13

I just wanted to say I am so sorry. Hopefully it will happen for you soon. Sometimes there are no definative answers for these sorts of things.

i agree with michaluna. all of those things could affect your body. you also could have a weak uterus.

Maybe it's your anatomy.