Direct to Stud Shower/Tub Kit?

I plan to install a direct to stud kit in my bathroom. I do not want to remove the wallboard, but rather go over top of the existing tile. I need to remove the outer row of tile so the kit will sit flush against the wall. I don't know if there is a stud behind where I need to screw it to the wall; probably not. Can I just use adhesive to attach it to the wall or do I need to screw it in? If so, what is the best kind of adhesive?

Favorite Answer

direct to stud surrounds are meant just for that, we just put one in our new bathroom and they are in no way able to be adhered with anything except screws the actual design prevents it. as for removal of wallboard/tile you must remove to get to the back lip of the tub inwitch the surround will connect to to help w/securing and leveling also need to make sure surround is compatible w/ your tub some models are made specifically for certain tubs, do your research Lowe's would be a Lot of help. Good Luck!

Source(s): personal exp.

If it is direct to stud, you should really install it that way. That's why so many people have so many problems in their house, people not taking the time to install things properly.