Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

Regarding humor, or the ability to be funny...?

Is it something that people are born with, or is it a character trait that can be learned?

Why is humor, well, funny? Why are some people funny, while others are serious? Is it a defense mechanism, kinda like chandler from friends?

The reason why I am asking is because I would like to be more humorous in my social interactions, I'm way to serious. I can recognize humor, but I can't seem to deliver it. When I do I miss the mark. Perhaps is why I choose to be serious, but being serious all the time is a hinderance to developing new relationships and maintaining existing ones in my opinion.

Well what do you guys think? Can it be learned, humor that is.

Thanks all opinions welcomed

Favorite Answer

I know where you are coming from. Humor makes everything so much easier. I've gotten my point across clearly sometimes with humor then being serious. I've made people laugh by sometimes by not being funny and when I try to be funny, I think it comes out as corny. The only thing that I say is if you are telling a story, try to mimic the other person in the story or yourself but exaggerate it. For example, my mom's boyfriends has a very thick Spanish accent and when he says shut up it sounds "Chut op" so when I say what he sounds like I usually get a laughing response. So I wish I was more funny but don't try to hard to be funny when it's not your born talent but you can add some humor but at something you know that is funny to begin with.

Gosh, I don't know the answer to this....at least not exactly. It sounds as though you're not being yourself....that you trying to act in a way that others may find acceptable....or that may make you more popular. This sort of thing rarely works. Even unknowingly, people can recognize when you're trying too hard and are often turned off by it.

You should try to find a balance between humor and seriousness. When you're being genuine about who you are and what you are, the "magic" will automatically happen. Relax and enjoy the life around you and most of all be real about yourself!!

Good luck with this.....I hoped I helped.

• ?

I understand what you are saying, I think some people are just kinda born with it. I appreciate how people are different and love humor. Nothing better than a good laugh.

• Bev

I think either you have it or you don't...but then I have it and you don't!!

Seriously, I think that it is part of the personality you were born with. You are probably very good at things your funny counterparts are not. If everyone was funny, nobody would be there to laugh!

Enjoy being who you are!

• JC

Its a characteristic. You cant 'make' yourself be funny, a person just is. To be quick witted is almost an art. It takes a strong personality and confidance. Sometimes it is a defense mechanism as you have described, but it comes naturally.

people are born to it or adopt it at a young age