What do you think is the right age to enroll kids in activities?

I'm talking about all the things parents enroll their kids in, like dance classes or sports. Many start very young. What is your opinion?

Favorite Answer

It depends on the child. Some do well, and others get burnt out quickly. You also need to watch the amount of time spent doing activities, say do they go 4-5 times a week or only 1-2 times. I think 6 or 7 is a good age, They are use to a lot more activities at that age. Some can handle it even younger. I had one son who wouldn't do anything until he was 8, and another who started at 5. But if they decide to quit, don't push them harder, it only creates problems. Instead just support them.

I enrolled my kids when they were very young for very selfish reasons. I wanted some quality alone time to do things the kids hate doing. I could go grocery shopping, doctors apointments, pick up dry cleaning... I also wanted some time for me without the kids. I love my children, and would do anything for them. Taking care of me is doing for them, as I can't help my children until I have been taken care of.

I think that the activies were good for my kids. In the case of sports the kids came home with a little less nervous energy and I was happy that they got some exercise. The sports helped to teach them to follow directions and to work as a group. The arts and crafts that the town offered helped to get the kids use to sharing and meeting new kids. It also gave them a chance to suprise me with a gift or two that they made for me.

I enrolled my oldest two in skating lessons at the age of 2 1/2, but I was with them for those lessons, which were once a week for an hour. I enrolled them in pee wee tee ball when they were 4 for the reasons I gave above.

I know I took my first ballet class when I was 3, but I was very excited to do it, and my mom limited me to one 1-hour ballet class per week, so it wasn't too big of a commitment. I think it depends on how interested a child is in something. If they're 2 or 3 and totally want to dance or do kiddie gymnastics, there are plenty of great toddler programs out there for them. I would suggest waiting until they're at least elementary-school age to start with music lessons or sports teams, because they need to have experience with socializing with other kids and good verbal skills before they take on anything like that. In fact, my piano teacher didn't even accept me as a student until I was 8 because he said small children's fine motor skills aren't developed enough for piano until then. (I don't know if that's true, or if he just hated really tiny kids and used their fingers as an excuse...) Whatever you do, make sure you don't exceed maybe 2 activities per child, because it's really important that they have down time to just hang out.

If he's interested, let him give it a try. My oldest tried gymnastics at 3, dance at 4, and soccer at 5. She also tried cheerleading at 6, basketball at 7, and is now back to gymnastics at 8. She never did more than one sport at a time, and I always let her tell me what she was interested in. My middle daughter has only done dance and gymnastics since that's all she's wanted to do. My youngest, who will be 4 in a couple weeks, took gymnastics at 2 and 3 because he wanted to do what his sisters were doing. He also played tee ball for the first time this summer. He has loved baseball for over a year, and we spent most of last summer (when he was 2 1/2) playing lots of baseball in the yard, so I figured this was something he would enjoy, and he did. He has no interest in trying soccer or basketball at this point, so we won't do either until (or if) he wants to.

• KathyS

Parents enroll thier kids in way too many activities. My rule is one activity at a time. School work and family time is more important.

My kids started after school activities at age 5 for 1 hour a week after school.

Start as young as you want! There are great baby classes out there that involve music and movement and my littlest one loved/loves her classes! We started when she was 9 months old with a music class and she is quite the dancer these days. As far as sports and dance I think most places there is an age requirement for older kid activities.

If you have a gymboree in your area I highly reccomend their classes, they are a lot of fun and very interactive!

• Usagi

We started at 1 year with all our 3 kids. All activities were with parent and child until they were 4 years old, and they were all non competitive. Kids love to go out and play. I don't think you can start too early.

Age 4.

I'm not going to put my daughter in dance until she's out of diapers. She's currently 2. I'm thinking by 3 she should be ready.

I don't think I want to enroll her in tons of activities. At that age, one thing is enough.

Depends on the sport or activity. I think as soon as they are able to sign up, sign them up! The younger the better. You may find that your child has a gift in a particular area, and the sooner you find it, the longer you have to develop it.

My son is only one and we take him swimming and skating...he can't skate on his own, but he enjoys it very much.