gusslor asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I need help with my 1 year old German Shepherd?

He is a wonderful dog that I rescued but he has a few bad habits. I need to know how to stop him from digging.. He chews on paper(I give him rawhides constantly). He likes to playfully nip at your feet legs arms or butt. He is trying to get you to play when he does this(he gets walked twice a day). He is constantly wanting to play.

• rives
    Favorite Answer

use a spray bottle and spray him with water and say NO you have to be persistent with it to train him right from wrong

Well, maybe you should take him to an expert to train him. Now, if he constantly wants to play with you it must be because he loves you. After all you rescued him, didn`t you? Those kind of dogs are very energetic and likes to do many things, like digging and chewing paper. Also put him limits and teach him that you cannot be with him the whole time. I know that it will break your heart, but it works. You can also buy him some toys for him to chew. But don`t be mean to him, treat him with loving care.

get him some toys and make sure he knows that his toys are the only things he should be playing with. when he nips at you, ignore him....he just wants attention, but he needs to learn to get attention from you in a safe way (such as bringing you a toy or something). when he chews papers, if the papers aren't important to you, then just ignore him. don't give him a rawhide b/c then he will learn that if he wants a rawhide he will have to chew papers. just ignore him when he chews papers. he needs to learn that you aren't the person who takes things from him, you are the person who gives things to him! also, when you give him a rawhide, have him chew it straight from your hand the whole time, as that also reinforces this idea that you are the "giver" and not the "taker".

if all else fails, take him to an animal trainer or behaviorist. if you don't get this problem fixed now, it may get worse and lead to him actually biting you or other people.

Source(s): i had a dog who chewed on lots of things and we didn't get it checked out and it led to lots of embarrassment and biting!

Dogs dig, it is their nature to dig. I have had 4 German Shepherds and believe me the digging will be well worth it if your ever in a threatening situation, that dog will give its life for you.

You can try all the things that are suggested. put chicken wire on the grass, hot pepper powder where they dig and the likes.

He does sound like he could use some obedience classes for the nipping and such, it may even help w/the digging too. You need to be the head dog in his life.

Happy doggie days ahead.

He is still a puppy. My dog is just 1yr old, and she still loves to chew things....she steels sox and not too long ago, snatched my husbands brand new Bluetooth off the coffee table (he didn't even use it yet) and chewed that to pieces! Sooner or later, he will out grow the chewing. It would be a good idea, especially for a German Shepherd, to get him obedience training classes. You will be glad you did in the long run!

Source(s): dog lover, had german shepherd in the past!
  • He may need more exercise or more toys.Digging is a result of bordom and german shepards do get bored easily.You may need to walk him more.If he is good with dogs and there is one around,take him to a dog park.He will easily get tired there,and will have no energy to play when you get home.When he chews on paper,take it away say"no"and give him an appropriate toy to chew on. Good Luck!!

Source(s): Personal dog expereince.