tangerine asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What is "normal"?

People often refer to "abnormal" behavior, but the question is, what is "normal"? There are over 6 billion people in the world, and they're all different from one another. And not only that, but psychologists have confirmed that every person has some mental health issues, so what constitutes as "normal" behavior?

Favorite Answer

There is no such thing. The definition of normal will vary from person to person.

Well. I don't know much about human behaviour as animal behaviour is more my field. However, normal behaviour is defined as behaviour commonly seen in that species, which is though to serve a purpose and is not self destructive. Don't quote me on it coz I might have gotten it slightly wrong (I'm no good at remembering definitions), but it is something along those lines. That means that stereotypies are abnormal as they do not seem to serve a purpose and are sometimes self destructive.

I decided long ago that I am not normal. Most of my friends are not normal either. Well if we are all abnormal, wouldn't that make us all normal?? Yeah this is a hard question to answer. I think normal it pretty much in the eye of the beholder. What is normal for you might be absolute weird for me.

Normal is a setting on your dryer. What's normal for one is not for another.

I would say normal falls in a range that as long as you are not harming yourself or commiting crimes against others, you are in the general population.

We can all learn better ways to communicate.

Now go be normal and have a good day.

normal is a setting on a washing mashine....there is no such thing as normal there is average but not really "normal" like you said with 6.5 billion people we're all so different there really can be no statement that would steryotype even a few of the individual people on this earth into one specific group to be considered normal

• Maggie

"normal" is a relative term - meaning what is normal to one person may not necessarily be normal to another. Conforming to society is what makes everyone "normal". Artists aren't normal, scientists aren't normal. And we as humans try to be "normal". I think that individuals differ in so many ways that there really isn't a definition for normal.

normal is a problem if someone doesnt have a problem to me thats abnormal and if someone tries to make you think that there are no problems in there life and they think their perfect they are most likely psychiopathic. and need help so if a doctor tells u that there is something wrong with you thats normal dont worry

Normal technically means "the norm" or what is the majority of something. I personally think normal is boring but it is something I have been striving for for many years! I feel I strive for "normalcy" for acceptance of others. I am learning and greatly desiring to just be happy with who I am.

Behavior which does not deviate from a given society's set standards or rules of law may be considered as normal.

The exact opposite may apply as well.

Normal is realizing that you're a human being, and that you know how to deal with your natural instincts, thus you do not allow yourself to be brainwashed by those that wish to control you via their depiction of how people should or should not live their lives.

• dsd

There is no general idea or conception of what normal is. Normal is just being who you are and accepting what you are with regards to you being different from others.