what is the best and cheapest material for building a large corral.?

We live in an area with a lot of clay and bad drainage so the corrals are really wet when it rains. To facilitate drainage we have poured in a lot of sand but still there is a big water problem. What material is best for building a corral on this type of soil?

Favorite Answer

Good to see you got some advice on your dirt work. Now to answer your question.

I live in east-central Kansas. We have awesome top soil, but once you get down about a foot or two you hit solid clay. If you want something that is gonna last then you probably want round pipe. It will rust over time, but it should give you several years of pride first. I've seen some fences built with 4x4 or 6x6. This will be your cheapest and easiest route to take. As long as you get treated lumber you should be good for a long time. Wood you can paint if you like and goes up quickly and easily. Steel you have to weld or drill/bolt. Either one should last in wet weather. Your treated 6x6 would probably last the longest, but they get kinda expensive. I would use treated 2x6s between the post if I were to build a wooden fence. A steel pipe fence I would use 3" pipe for the posts and 2" for the rails.

It would depend greatly on just how big this corral was and what your resources are. Pouring sand into the mix is the right idea but sand, being fine will clog up quickly by a clay soil. If a machine such as a bobcat is available, scrape the surface down 4-6 inches---dig a trench inside this area and lay irrigation pipe.

Cover the pipe with stone and fill the area with a gravel/sand mix available at most quarries. Be careful the fill does not cause injury to hoof stock. The whole idea is to shed the water away before it puddles. If its a big area---its a lot of work and you will need help. Good luck