The Hitman asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

I need someone to comment on this psychological belief?

I have a strong belief that everyone is insane, every single human without exceptions, including YOU,;) but we have this little mask of sanity, that we take off either when alone or in the wrong place and wrong time

Favorite Answer

I believe I'm insane. You're right.

Psychology is a science and you have no scientific fact to validate this theory. Furthermore in US the term sanity is not a psychological one but a legal term. There is no diagnosis on any axis that states sanity as a disorder. The term sanity refers to a person knowing right from wrong and the consequences of those actions at the time the crime is committed.

Sanity is not a psychological belief. It is a legal term that the legal system puts on a person by a judge or jury with the information gathered from psychologists/psychiatrists.

If everyone is insane, then there really is no sanity. Without sanity, there could be no insanity. There needs to be both. Your belief crashes here.

However, I do think that normal people do not exist. Everyone has a small (or large) psychological problem just from being human, but I don't think it makes us all insane for this. I save the word insanity for the people who are usually disconnected from reality.

Very interesting! I compared "insane" with "normal"...and they are polar opposites...I think it's funny that people try to be "normal" and get so upset when they find out how different they are from "normal" people...but I say "normal" by societies standards is boring. Then I tell them they are normal for themselves! We all are, and if we were true to our Selves this world would be more accepting, and more fun! :)

in‧sane  /ɪnˈseɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-seyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.

2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.

3. utterly senseless: an insane plan.

nor·mal (nôrml) Pronunciation Key

adj.

Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical: normal room temperature; one's normal weight; normal diplomatic relations.

Biology. Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies.

Abbr. n or N Chemistry.

Designating a solution having one gram equivalent weight of solute per liter of solution.

Designating an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight and unbranched chain of carbon atoms.

Mathematics.

Being at right angles; perpendicular.

Perpendicular to the direction of a tangent line to a curve or a tangent plane to a surface.

Relating to or characterized by average intelligence or development.

Free from mental illness; sane.

• Whoops

No totally disagree, speak for yourself we are brought up to assimilate to societies values

What we do in private is an expression of release of anxieties etc NOT Insanity, well not myself or family anyway.

That's a cop out to infer that everyone is insane, cos if you feel that way maybe time to go seek some counselling, I find that a ridiculous statement...cheers

Source(s): Am I Insane , well push me to my limit then I will respond.... BUT I will not still be classed as insane ,thats a cop out.

tell me something, who can really establish what "insanity" is? you may be right in saying everyone is insane. maybe the person that came up with the definition of insanity is the one who is insane. however, if we do not let our actions hurt another who cares if we are viewed insane or not.we each need to live life the way we want.

Actually, insanity is not a psychological concept. It's a legal one that refers to the fact that an individual is unable to differentiate right from wrong.

You're close. It's nearly everyone. Liberals are the most insane of all, however, and others are really pretty sane by comparison.

If everyone is insane wouldn't it be "normal" to be insane? Blah I'm confused...lol.