Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

my sons father?

my partner and i split after my son was son is now 3 and half years old and my ex refuses to sign the paperwork so my son can have my name my ex hasnt been in my sons life

so should he have any say at all?


no we are not married when my son was born we both went to get him registered so my exes name is on the certificate but split up after that.

9 Answers

  • Favorite Answer

    hey what about getting a lawyer if you earn under so much you can get legal aid so it would keep the costs right down low! and to that nasty person c_hayhurst she is NOT being irresponsible having a child out of wed lock some people choose not to get married and guess what im 26 weeks preg with baby number 2 and oh my god how irresponsible am i its out of wed lock so dont judge people ok! and sweety you will get a way round it tell your ex to just grow up and sign the papers! good luck xx

  • 1 decade ago

    Why change your sons name? If you ever get married again your son will have what ever name you changed it to and may get the feeling of not belonging anywhere.

    I would leave his last name as it is. When he reaches 18, if he wants his name change then he can do it through a court. For now it seems silly to change his name.

    Dad has a right to keep his last name as it is. But I do believe you might be able to contest that and add your last name to the ending by hyphenating it and using it instead. Just think about it before you do it really.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you want your son's last name changed back to your name all you have to do is go to the Clerk of Courts for your county and fill out the paperwork. It might cost you a little bit of money (less than $100) but if his father's not in his life than it's worth it.

    Been there - done that.

    Source(s): Single mother of 1
  • 1 decade ago

    Why worry about it?

    It's a lot headaches and a bumpy road.

    You'd have to contact a lawyer to find out for sure how to do it.

    In court you'd have to had a good reason why you wanted to do this.

    But think of this. His name's on the birth certificate, is he paying child support? He should be if his name's on the papers! Maybe take him to court and make him pay! Some times that's incentive enough to make them fold to your wishes.

    It sounds like you're wanting him sign papers that will terminate his parental rights, and that's fine too, if he isn't involved in the kid's life, but I think you'd lose any support the court could/would award you.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Forget about the last name and work on the relationship between your child and his father. Talk to your doctor about a referral to a family therapist. You son needs his father in his life. The adults need to step up and be adults. Realize that you are responsible for the well being of a child.

  • 1 decade ago

    you may be able to find a therapist, but you cannot force his dad to be in his life. sometimes kids are better off without that parent that doesn't give a crap about them. I will find a lawyer and go thru the process yourself. it will be very emotionally draining on you, but you must do what is right for YOUR child. He will decide when he is older whether he wants his dad in his life for now or not. Right now he is too little to understand what is going on. Good luck.

  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    In my state, a child needs consent of both parents until they reach the age of 14. Without his consent, there is nothing that you can do.

  • 1 decade ago

    Are you married? then he doesnt need to have his name,,, and if no commitment no paperwork,,

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You had an illegitimate child out of wedlock.


    Realize you did this child a great disservice by allowing yorself to get knocked up by a man who wasn't y our husband. You screwed up big time.

    Get a lawyer and try to straighten out this mess.

    Good luck and stop "giving it up" until you get yourself married.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.