Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Inhaled insulin for diabeties is now available - do you think that it will be very popular?

Inhaled insulin is called Exhubera and for more details see the link below:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYS...

Favorite Answer

It has been approved by the FDA. But it is yet on the market. It will probably be about 3 months before it becomes available by prescription. I think it will be very popular. But like most drugs most insurance companies probably will not cover the cost until it has been on the market for at least a year. And from what I understand it is going to be rather expensive. I wish things could be different, as I see many patients who would benefit from using it rather than taking insulin shots.

Source(s): I am a Registered Nurse

I myself do not believe it's going to be that big. First of all, it's not known what the long term effects are on the lungs. Second, it's HUGE! Not very convenient to carry. Third, it doesn't eliminate injections...it's only a fast acting insulin meant for before meals so type 1's will still need to inject long or intermediate insulins. Fourth, how is an accurate dose going to be given when you're inhaling it? How much is inhaled is actually inhaled? It may not matter for those who are insulin resistant whether their dose is completely accurate, but for an insulin sensitive type 1 it makes a BIG difference! and last, the price, althoughl we don't know exactly, it's estimated to be 3 times the price of injectable.

• BAR

from what I have read it won't work for everyone. Your lungs will have to be watched/checked for damage. You can't give yourself units in single diget increments, like 1 unit or 6 units. It is only rapid insulin not long lasting like lantus. There are little blister packs that you crush up in its device, in units of 3. So if you nedd 1 unit or lets say 7 then it won't work for you. But it is a start, it will only improve with time. As for me I won't be trying it any time soon or ever.

Forget anything you have ever been told about Diabetes.

And get this - it has nothing to do with insulin, exercise, diet or anything else you've heard in the past. It's all based on latest breakthrough research that Big Pharma is going Stir Crazy to hide from you.

Visit here : https://tr.im/yGuSc to find out what all the fuss is about.

I take 2 shots of insulin a day I think I will try it; but. I'm not sure; it may be more unpleasant then the shots. Ive had to put drops up my nose and they hurt and feels terrible and go down the back of the throat and give me a sore throat

Source(s): diabetic

I WANT SOME!

I have heard of it and i want to get it as soon at it comes out\. i have to take 4 shots of insulin a day and its kind-of embarrassing having to do it every day in front of people. i think that it will be VERY popular especially with kids and teens that dint want shots. because we all know that when we were little kids we were scared of shots.

i haven't heard of this...but if it's true...it would be so much better than these godawful injections! especially for kids. but, since i can't afford my injectable insulin, i'm sure i won't be able to afford an inhaled insulin either. whine. lol.

• x

It reduces lung function. Whoopie. So I want to ruin my lungs by sucking on an inhaler rather than a quick injection?

Yeah, real advantage. NOT!!

tell me what do you meen by inhaled insulin

Hi

I have been a diabetic for 22 years and just found this website about 3months ago. This is a great website for diabetics.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/