♥Sarisa♥ asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Do root canals hurt???

k i went to dentist a year ago and i had a cavity but it was soo deep the dentist hit my nerve not on perpose though. now i just went to the dentist like a 1hour ago and he said that my nerve got a anfection and it's dieing cuz he hit it. now he is sending me to a specialist and he said i might have to get a root canal. he said he might have to do the root canal tomarrow. do root canals hurt. cuz i'm already in pain cuz of the anfection and on meds to ease the pain. please tell me if u got one before and if they r painful! (srry 4 my bad spelling)

but isnt the nerve inside the tooth already dead when u get a root canal. well my nerve isnt dead its dieing and when i felt the dentist drill it. IT HURT! if he didn't drill it. my nerve wouldn't be dieing.

Best Answer

Don't worry about the bad spelling.

OK, theres 2 things you can do for this:

A)Get the root canal. You add up the total cost including the new tooth to be installed you're looking at 1500 dollars.

B)Pull the tooth, drain the infection and it'll be healed. For about 300 dollars.

Root canals CAN hurt, they can get infected, but its usually not as painfull as being infected.

Modern dental surgery doesn't really hurt. It is uncomfortable, but rarely will you suffer any significant amount of pain if you follow all instructions given to you by the dentist. You should probably take a couple of pain killers as soon as you're able to drink liquids after the surgery, because once the numbing effect wears off, you may experience pain for a short while (I recently had an extraction and this is precisely what happened to me--trust me, don't take the chance, just take the pills). Root canals do not intrude into the tissues of the mouth the way extractions do, so you're not likely to experience much, if any, discomfort. At worst you will have minor pain localized in that one tooth, but you will find yourself quite capable of moving on with your life almost as if nothing happened. Just be sure to get a proper crown done within a few weeks. If you don't, your tooth may literally crumble inside your mouth.

I am not going to lie. I had a root canal yesterday and I do not agree that it is the least painful procedure. Remember that everyones pain threshold is different so whats painful for me, may not be for you. In most cases it needs to be done in two visits because it is such a long procedure. What hurt most for me was the clamp that goes around the tooth receiving the root canal. If you feel any pain from that be sure to let the densist know. In my case, anesthetic doesnt work very great so I needed several shots to make me numb enough to complete the procedure. If its available to you I would make sure to ask for nitrous oxide. It will be worth it. I was so nervous I was shaking the entire time, not from pain, just nerves.

Remember, pain is different for everyone and if anthing hurts even a little, let the dentist know!

Source(s): dental assistant and personal experience
  • K

No root canals do not hurt. I have had 2 of them done and there is no pain at all. There might be some soreness after-wards but nothing compared to the pain you are in now

I had a root canal done. It went bad - got infected - talk about pain !!!!!!!! I was a grown man - in tears and actually hitting my head with my fist just for diversion - I ended up having it pulled - when I got the shot of painkiller to pull the tooth I almost passed out when the pain left. Sorry for the bad story but you asked - - -

Ive had one before they don't hurt the shot I got for it was worse and after words I was fine I just took Tylenol besides Ive hurd the infection pain hurts worse then the root canal.

They hurt, but not too much. And your dentist will give you some pain meds. It will certainly feel better than your infected root!!

no they are not painful normally, you may feel more than a normal root canal since your infection has gone this far and is hurting without any irritation.

actually a root canal is the least painful dental procedure

Only a very few hurt, and usually you won't feel it much.