Do root canals hurt???

k i went to dentist a year ago and i had a cavity but it was soo deep the dentist hit my nerve not on perpose though. now i just went to the dentist like a 1hour ago and he said that my nerve got a anfection and it's dieing cuz he hit it. now he is sending me to a specialist and he said i might have to get a... show more k i went to dentist a year ago and i had a cavity but it was soo deep the dentist hit my nerve not on perpose though. now i just went to the dentist like a 1hour ago and he said that my nerve got a anfection and it's dieing cuz he hit it. now he is sending me to a specialist and he said i might have to get a root canal. he said he might have to do the root canal tomarrow. do root canals hurt. cuz i'm already in pain cuz of the anfection and on meds to ease the pain. please tell me if u got one before and if they r painful! (srry 4 my bad spelling)
Update: but isnt the nerve inside the tooth already dead when u get a root canal. well my nerve isnt dead its dieing and when i felt the dentist drill it. IT HURT! if he didn't drill it. my nerve wouldn't be dieing.