Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

how did the railroads affect the growth of some united states cities?

like during the 1950 ish like wen the transcontinental line was built how did it affect the growth i have no idea how to answer this question????

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Goods and resources were a lot easier to inport and export across the country, which allowed people to disperse. They no longer had to live in certain thriving cities because materials were now being transported to many different areas and businesses could grow. Someone could live in the suburbs and take the train to work in the city. Travelling was much easier and faster than ever before.

• 1 decade ago

Not only did railroads affect the growth of some U.S. cities (no planes, main transportation -- everyone needed to live within a certain distance to railroads so they could get supplies and mail, etc), some cities were created because of the railroad. There were cities that were built to house families of people who worked for the railroad. Pullman town was built for the workers of Pullman's company, which built railroad boxcars.

Also, transcontinental line built WAY before the 1950s. Think late 1800s.

Travelling by railroad was faster and safer than by wagon, and much more reliable. Having this mode of transportation available made city life more appealing, and cities grew around the railroad stations.

• 1 decade ago

I believe that railroads were used way before then. and a lot roads had not been discovered or yet made . so the only means of transportation from state to state and for carring shipments of goods from state to state was by railrod. I believe that railroads have been around since the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.