Lizzie asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Is talking to yourself bad?

I talk to myself constantly. And they arent just simple conversations because I am bored. Like I have arguments with myself that I never finish. I find that talking to myself helps me think, but I am worried that if I talk too much to myself that I will go insane or that I will ignore the world and live in my own world. Do you think I have taken my habit too far? I am scared to ask someone I personally know for help. So the comments would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Best Answer

People who talk to themselves who are insane aren't aware that their behavior might seem odd to anyone else. They also sometimes actually hear voices and are responding to those voices.

You seem very lucid about talking with yourself and believe it or not, many "normal" people converse with themselves (I'll admit I am one of them) to rehearse important speeches, to work something out that's troubling them, to shout at the bad driver in front of them - even though the other driver can't hear, because they are mad at themselves, etc.

Again, you are aware of your talking, so you are not insane. However, you express concern about taking it too far. Everyone behaves differently and reacts differently to situations. So the real question is, why do you feel the need to have these conversations? It seems to me like you might need another person to talk to and take your frustrations to. If you don't have a confidant you can talk to, it might be why you are conversing with yourself. It's a perfectly natural reaction. I think you are just trying to figure out things in your own way - some people do it silently, you just tend to be more vocal.

If you are really concerned, you might want to talk to someone about it.

• wools

Is Talking To Yourself Bad

• lauber

Is Talking To Yourself Normal

If you are talking to yourself when in the middle of entering details on a computer or form filling etc then that is o.k because you want to make sure everything is done properly. If what you say to yourself begins to sound unsettling then that is where the problems begin (My line manager at work frequently displays this trait). Today my line manager was doing a colleagues appraisal and was waiting in the room for my colleague to write up his self review form. My colleagues and I noticed the supervisor talk complete gibberish to himself as if someone was in the room with him but there was not.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is talking to yourself bad?

I talk to myself constantly. And they arent just simple conversations because I am bored. Like I have arguments with myself that I never finish. I find that talking to myself helps me think, but I am worried that if I talk too much to myself that I will go insane or that I will ignore the world and...

Source(s): talking bad: https://biturl.im/vuiHB

No it is absolutely normal. A person is almost always talking to themselves internallly and its helps for some people to think better if they hear themselves talk. If you talk to yourself, thats fine but if your mind just out of nowhere tells you to do something, I am not so sure anymore. But talking to yourself is perfectly normal. Good Luck.

I do this too! I think it might just be a personality thing. I got it from my mom and we aren't crazy. And I have arguments with myself and people at work make fun of me but I'm used to it! I've been trying to not talk to myself but I can't help it. I do it when I'm alone, when I'm at work, when I'm shopping. I know people look at me like I'm a nut case but I'm really not! Let me know if find someone to help you because I need some advice too!

When you talk to yourself, you are probably just verbalizing your internal monologue. For a fact verbalizing information helps to encode it into storage (memory). So if it helps you get organized, it doesn't sound like a bad thing.

However if voices start answering you, and telling you to do things, you might want to get it checked out.

No, talking to yourself is not bad I do it all the time its really helpful like it helps you think better. If someone ever judges you just because you talk to yourself dont listen to them!!!!!!

• Lucia

I believe everyone does what you explain. Your Normal. Unless you start calling yourself names or carry on like talking on a cell phone then i think you should talk to a DR.