Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

why is there an Indian Health Service?

its a govt funded service for Native Americans, with many clinics.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Indian reservations are sovereign states and the Health Services are merely the same thing as local charity hospitals in other cities.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Indian Health Service (IHS) began on July 1, 1955, a year after the transfer of Native American health services from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) to the Public Health Service (PHS). However, IHS publications appeared with greater frequency in the 1970s and 1980s. A selection of these are shown here.

Construction of hospitals was a major concern for the IHS in early years. Some of these facilities were built in fairly remote areas, like Kotzebue Hospital. It was built in 1961 to serve the health care needs of northern Alaska Natives. See the image above, depicting ceremonies that attended the opening of Kotzebue Hospital.

The IHS over the past decade has been involved in educating the Native American public about Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Two AIDS posters displayed on the wall behind this exhibit case were produced with the help of the IHS [not shown in online exhibition].

The IHS is today assisted in its duties by other government agencies of the PHS, such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NIH agencies represented here are the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS).

• 5 years ago

It is a pathetic system, with horrible health care, so they are basically getting nothing.

• 1 decade ago

Why not Look what the Yanks did to them!!! Far, Far worse than the South Africans that I will say!!! Putting back or trying to what they took out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Why shouldn't there be???

Source(s): I'm a nurse and I'm also 3 tribes.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.