Would this work on a water heater TIMER installation? Is it safe?

My water heater is 220 volts with a 6ft attached electrical cable with a 220 plug at the end of the cable. I have a 220volt receptacle next to the water heater. I want to install a water heater TIMER (Intermatic Model: T104R 40 AMP. Resistive each pole 120-480 Volt AC) Can I cut the cable that is attached to... show more My water heater is 220 volts with a 6ft attached electrical cable with a 220 plug at the end of the cable.
I have a 220volt receptacle next to the water heater.
I want to install a water heater TIMER (Intermatic Model: T104R 40 AMP. Resistive each pole 120-480 Volt AC)
Can I cut the cable that is attached to the water heater in the middle?
1. Take the half cable with the 220volt plug. The plug will be plug into to the 220 volt receptacle next to the water heater and the other end of the same half cable with 3 strip wires. Two wires go to number 1 and 3 connectors in the TIMER and the 3rd wire goes to the ground connector in the TIMER.
2. The other half cable attached to the water heater. The end with the 3 strip wires, two wires will be connected to the number 2 and 4 connectors in the TIMER and the 3rd wire will connected to the ground connector in the TIMER.
3. Basically the Timer will be in the middle of the cable that is attached to the water heater.
Update: The Timer is already in a box with cover and holes to run wires inside.