what is the name for a stamp collector?

9 Answers

  • Maple
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Some of us prefer just to be called "stamp collectors." But the fancy name is philatelist, and the major stamp collecting society in the United States is the American Philatelic Society. They have a great website at http://www.stamps.org/

    In some sense "philatelist" is better than "stamp collector," as some philatelists collect pre-stamp letters or free-franked military mail or other items which are philatelic but do not have stamps on them.

  • 4 years ago

    Stamp Collector

  • 1 decade ago

    Philatelist is correct. Collecting stamps and studying them are not the same, but the word stuck. Just like I am a numismatist, not a coin collector. A numismatist collects coins, but studies and knows the history behind the coins he has and a lot of times, the ones he can't afford. These days anyone that just collects coins, uses the term numismatist. if they collect stamps, a philatelist.

    Source(s): 46 years a numismatist
  • 1 decade ago

    Philatelists, BUT!!!!

    collecting Stamps is not the same as Philanthropy which is the study of Stamps (From Wikipedia), so a stamp collector is righly called a Stamp Collector.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago


  • 1 decade ago


  • Eugene
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago


  • 1 decade ago


    Source(s): Bhagavad Gita
  • 1 decade ago

    i call them stampest....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.