Sheryl Crow - can you recommend any other modern artists based on these jazz-like piano songs...?

Ordinary Morning

We Do What We Can

Both of these songs have piano and slow jazz-sounding music. Listening to this music, I imagine Sheryl in a sultry evening gown in front of a microphone with a Jazz pianist and band in the background. The lights are low with a spotlight on her. Smoky bar.

She drives the men in the crowd into a frenzy.

I know there are many older female black artists - say Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Billie Holliday, and Etta James - who did this kind of music. I'm not really interested in Jazz standards - unless they are totally reworked.

I'd be interested if there are any MODERN female artists, black or white, that do this type of music.

I would say Fiona Apple, Madeleine Peyroux, or even Rachel Yamagata.

Those two songs by Sheryl Crow, however, include much more than piano. Electric guitar, a drum beat, rock undertones, and even a muted trumpet. I've not heard anything quite like it except for these two songs. Any help is appreciated.

I do like Diana Krall and Norah Jones. But Diana Krall is a bit too old-fashioned and more of a Jazz standard singer. Norah Jones is better, but still not quite in line with the two songs I mentioned.

I like the Mazzy Star song, fade into you, quite a bit. Great song. Not very jazzy though.

For a preview of ordinary morning, check out this link: http://www.amazon.com/Sheryl-Crow/dp/B000002G62

Best Answer

Devics and Elysian Fields have several jazzy pieces. Fisher has mostly piano with vocals, but the music is not as jazzy. Also check out Blackheart Procession, Five Hours and Streetlight Manifesto.

You would probably enjoy Diana Krall and Norah Jones

have you tried to listen to Nora Jones. She has a jazz feel with a piano but with a modern twist. I like her music, it's real relaxing.

Well,for one-Sheryl Crow IS NOT jazz-she's rock....

try Mazzy Star - Fade into you