Are flea and tick collars that are made for dogs safe for cats?

I took my cat to the vet when she had a couple of ticks and the vet gave me a collar for her to wear, but it is made for dogs. The vet tech said that it would be okay, but I know that there are certain chemicals that could kill cats that are harmless to dogs. I don't know if I feel comfortable putting this... show more I took my cat to the vet when she had a couple of ticks and the vet gave me a collar for her to wear, but it is made for dogs. The vet tech said that it would be okay, but I know that there are certain chemicals that could kill cats that are harmless to dogs. I don't know if I feel comfortable putting this collar on her.
Update: I live in Germany, in a heavily wooded area. The medical practices are different here. It was the vet who gave the vet tech the collar. My cat is an outdoor cat because she can open the door. I would prefer that she was an indoor cat.