Tigger asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Are flea and tick collars that are made for dogs safe for cats?

I took my cat to the vet when she had a couple of ticks and the vet gave me a collar for her to wear, but it is made for dogs. The vet tech said that it would be okay, but I know that there are certain chemicals that could kill cats that are harmless to dogs. I don't know if I feel comfortable putting this collar on her.

I live in Germany, in a heavily wooded area. The medical practices are different here. It was the vet who gave the vet tech the collar. My cat is an outdoor cat because she can open the door. I would prefer that she was an indoor cat.

Favorite Answer

well if the vet tech said it was ok then i dont see why not. they are trained in this. but if you are really afraid go to the pet store and pick one up yourself. they arent that expensive!! but if you really want to make sur ejust call and talk to you vet! good luck!

I don't know much about the differences between cat and dog collars, but I do know that collars in general can be toxic and inaffective....and I also know that there are certain flea medications that are made for dogs that have killed cats. So I wouldn't use it. You're better off putting your cat on Revolution or something similar to take care of the ticks and any fleas. And find another vet to take your cat to.

NO, no, no, never use something that is for a dog on a cat or visa versus. Go and buy one for the cat. But really the best thing is to buy the monthly flea tubes, it is a lot less hassle. That vet tech doesn't know what she is saying, she is completely wrong on that. I would tell your veterinarian, what this vet tech said, she doesn't need to be working there at all.

**Something very important that I forgot to tell you, it goes by weight. Too much or too little is not good enought. To little will not do anything, too much it can kill your cat***********

Sounds like that veterinary practice is about ten years behind the times. Collars on animals don't work very well and may expose an animal to unnecessary irritation around the neck.

Advantage and Frontline have been developed and in use for over ten years now. They are effective and can do the least possible harm to your cat.

Flea collars can be put in vaccum cleaners to kill fleas and hatching eggs sucked up into it.

Doesnt seem like a good idea. My vet just told me that flea meds they sell OTC in stores are dangerous and can kill cats. Like the Hartz flea collar for cats, in very tiny writing, says "May not be safe for cats". Why not use frontline or something well known at veteranarians. Collars are so outdated, and dangerous to children, etc.

Source(s): My veteranarian

well vets know best. but there are diffrent collars for dogs and cats. i would go to the dollar store or something and get a cat flea collar. good luck!

Flea collars are more geared toward the animal's weight than its species. If the vet tech gave you the one for the right weight, it should be fine.

Not only are flea collars dangerous for your cat but they are also dangerous for you and your family. They do cause breathing problems in animals as well as humans

I would not use it. Go to the pet supply store and get one just for cats. Better yet, keep your cat indoors where she will be safer and won't get ticks and fleas.

very dangerous, and don't get any from the store they can be very harmful to dogs or cats, especially cats, go buy frontline or advantage for cats from your vet.