Can anybody explain this rule to me?

The other day I came across this:

"The "20/80 Rule" tells us we will typically accomplish 80% of our

results through 20% of our effort. The other 20% of additional

results comes from about 80% of additional effort."

Can anybody explain to me what this means? I didn't get this rule at all.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    based upon the Law of Dinishing Returns, this is a mathematical premise indicating that Time plays an important role in our abiltity to accomplish a given task with a given amount of effort. In other words, the longer we take, the less we do in terms of interest and intensity

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    This is called Prado's Principle or Rule. Simply put 80% of the area under the bell curve is located within 20% of the population. This is the so-called sigma six bounds. The concept has been applied in many cases and generally turns out correct. This is because the bell curve appears to be a law of nature.

    To understand your situation: 80% results are the "no-sweat" type, requiring only 20% of your effort. The remaining 20% is the hard type and require 80% of your effort.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    It is just a result of wide research that there is a 20/80 ratio in many walks of life..

    20 % people do 80 % of the work , 80 % people do 20% and so on.

    Perhaps it indicates a sort of balance in nature's way of running the show !

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    80% of the requirements in a man's life are trivial. the results can be attained by giving a mere 20% of oneself. however results that lie in the other 20% make a man superior and thats what makes a difference in ones life. in order to gain that 20%, u have to put in all the remaining 80% of ur efforts.

    that 20% of results makes a man successful in his life.

    it may be ur studies, ur career, ur family, or even a desire of making this world a better place. if you put in the true effort(i.e., the remaining 80%), u will attain it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    In most tasks the bulk of it goes fairly easy, it's taking care of the details at the end that take the time. Say your going to do your yard work, mowing the lawn you cover a large area in a relatively short period of time compared to the time you spend with the trimming, pruning and cleaning up Or another example would be building a house. Framing the house out and getting the roof on, again, go fairly quickly. Where the time is spent is in the wiring plumbing and trim work. I hope this helped.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.