List 5 differences between blues music and other jazz music?
- RGLv 41 decade agoFavorite Answer
Blues music is usually slower than most other jazz.
Blues music generally expresses sadness--more so than other jazz.
A standard blues chorus consists of 12 measures: 4 measures, then 4 measures repeated, but an interval of a fourth higher. The last four measures will return to the original chord structure and complete the chorus. Other jazz choruses are usually 16 or 32 measures long.
Blues often include different scale degrees, such as a flatted 3rd, 5th, or 7th; although these changes also appear (but less frequently) in other jazz.
Blues is perhaps the only jazz genre that can be played effectively on a harmonica.Source(s): Masters degree in music; professional musician.
- 1 decade ago
First off this is a very tough question- The reason being that there are so many typs of jazz, yet Blues is pretty much it's own entity.
However, there are many differing opinions in the world of music and one's appreciation of the many nuances within. Here's my spin.
1. You can't mistake jazz for blues, if you are familiar with both you'd never mistake Ella Fitzgerald for Mahalia Jackson.
2. There's no Scat in Blues
3. Blues was born of, and embraces tough times... "Why ya gotta treat me so bad..."
4. Jazz is often celebratory or uplifting like Dave Brubek Quartet's Take Five or Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Pete Fountain, etc...
5. Jazz has many genres such as Dixieland Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Acid Jazz, Improvisational Jazz, etc... where Blues has it's 'eras'.
Hope that helped.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Blues is like checkers and jazz is like chess.
Blues tends to remain in the standard three-chord progression, while jazz has more changes.
They're both about improvisation, but blues improvisation mainly sticks with standard scales and chords, whereas jazz improv is about altering the chords and scales themselves.
A blues music form is much more "predictable" than jazz, for the most part.
- 1 decade ago
Blues music has to do with a persons feelings. They write blues music to express how they feel. Jazz music is a get up n'' go kinda music/ dance music. i know its not 5 things but hopefully this'll help.