Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Any one from charlotte north carolina area?

We are thinking of relocating there and was wondering if any one could tell us about life there. Such as their atitudes towards northerners and cost of living. I have 3 school age children and am wondering about school ditricts as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

It's still kind of a "small town" although it's been growing kind of fast. And it's still a good place to raise a family. It's not as fast paced as the northern states and believe it or not, it's not as fast paced as a lot of southern cities either. Many of the people here are still quite friendly - even though they're kind of agressive on the road. And we don't drive as well as people up north do in the snow. We don't get that much snow. There are some quiet neighborhoods here but there are also some bad neighborhoods. No real ghettos though. The crime rate goes up and down, but it's not like a "sin-city" type of atmosphere. I've met a lot of people who've moved here from Canada, Michigan, Ohio, New York, etc. They all make fun of how slow the city and people are and how people can't drive, but I haven't heard many complaints about the schooling. And they've been here for years. So, it can't be too bad. It's getting kind of like Atlanta, Georgia, but not as fast. One of the guys I know always complain about the people at his daughter's day-care though. A lot of the schools that are here now, require a uniform that is khaki pants and a blue "button-down" (or polo-style) shirt. High school and some middle schools may not require this.

As far as cost of living, to rent (or buy) a house in a middle-class neighborhood, will probably cost you at least $750 on up. And that's about 1200 or so square feet. The food is less expensive than up North and you'll miss some of the stuff you use to eat, but at least you'll get a chance to try some southern-style grits! Entertainment is less expensive. And we have a Wal-Mart in every section of the city - even one close to uptown Charlotte, so you'll find some sales everyday. Gas is definitely cheaper. It may be half of what you pay up there. Here I think it was $2.29 today where I went. I never look. Sales tax is about six or six and a half cents on the dollar (I'm guessing - but no more than 7%).

You can look on Charlotte.com for more info that may help. Also, the county we live in is called Mecklenburg County. You can probably find out about taxes and licenses by "searching" with those keywords.

Look up "North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles" too.

no i'm not, but thanks for asking.